Denali C75 Review

Horton

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_
I'v run a 35 every set so far. Multiple in several sets. I've missed some but not many. I have stopped using 28s as an opener and open with 32s. Have not missed any of those. Took a poke at 38 the other day and was on my way to 4 ball and got a tad too excited. Dang it!

• Baller
So what are the current thoughts/experiences on a bigger skier and the large at 34mph? I might be inclined to replace my '16 Vapor (69.5") this year...I'm 6'5" 230ish. What is the tallest and/or heaviest skier you believe the large C75 would be ideal for?

• Supporting Member

I'd venture a guess that some very big folks can use that Large successfully at 34 mph, especially if skiing 35 off and deeper. At 6'2" 170 I love my small, and I bet I'd want an XS if I were trying 36 mph.

And if you hate it, something tells me it'll go quickly on Ski-It-Again...

• Baller_
@adamhcaldwell was just kidding?. You’re always working on something. With that in mind I noticed just how long you stay on the handle with 2 hands. At all the line lengths. Just got done with a set and did just that. Everything improved and fixed my desire to ski taller without forcing it. Got less compressed out of the turn by holding on to the handle longer into the turn so taller was physically easier to achieve.

• Baller
Finally an a-ha moment skiing yesterday @ Swerve. Working on standing up more and moving forward coming into the turn while keeping the handle (thanks Bullock). Not sure if I can explain this right but those are the two main points that really stick out. Especially using the handle to "pull myself" up and forward coming into the turn. This was a 35 pass and felt totally unlike anything I've ever skied before. Very easy. Hope I can duplicate next time out. No doubt, without question, hands down it is the ski (L c-75) and the Adams who have taken my skiing to the next level. 28-32 easy. 35 starting to come more easily. Ran 2 35s and 2 and 2.5 @ 38. Never before this early in the season.

• Baller
@Ed_Johnson I can't speak for @ghutch but I've been working on this type of thing lately and it has become a game changer. I think what he's talking about is a connection to the handle. In other words the only time the handle comes away from your body is in the reach. Which means in the cut the handles down low witht arms straight and in the edge change or as you take angle out of the ski the handle comes up which means the arms are bent. That has made a big difference for me. If you watch Chris parish am skis slowmo you will see what I think. It would be nice if Caldwell or Cord had a slo-mo video. You could see it there easily too.

• Baller

@skierRx, your right on point.

FYI, that video I posted is in very high quality. You can click the gear on the bottom right corner to watch in Higher def and Also at 1/4 speed. YouTube will Often play a lesser quality unless you select otherwise.

Parish is one of the best at creating a strong position/Connection into CL and sustaining connection to the top of the swing. But Mapple knew how to turn!!!

@richfoster - I’ve taken three sets on these settings and have moved the wing once so far. I want to play around with DFT a bit more before posting them. They’re good, but I think there’s more to learn still!

• Baller
@Ed_Johnson and @Skierx yes! That is a better way to explain it. Somehow it just clicked, I guess I decided to go for broke and really "pull" after crossing CL which helped me to "stand up" over the ski, arms bent, then it was literally just a ride around the buoy into a tight line and repeat again. It was probably the funnest pass I have ever skied.

• Baller

This gem from another thread "What seperates the men from the boys" by Adam Cord really hit home as well:

Holding that cross course angle any longer than that is detrimental to short line skiing. In the 1st quote from Mapple above, "start your turn at the 1st wake", we're talking about the start of a process that doesn't end until after the next buoy. It's subtle, hard to see when watching skiers, and easily missed. But this is truly where the ski needs to start coming out of angle. Some skiers are able to start even earlier (Smith and Caldwell come to mind). This is what Caldwell is talking about when he talks about standing up out of angle into the wakes. Different terminology, same concept.

Now about the second quote, "your strongest pull should be at the 2nd wake". This one really stumped me for a long time, but after asking a lot of questions, watching a lot of skiers, and experimenting on my own skiing, it became clear that this is in reference to pull on the ROPE, and not pressure on the ski. The second wake is where you have A) just crossed centerline, B ) started to move the ski out of angle, C) are at or near your max speed, D) the Zero Off is gassing you the most, and E) the point where your body's inertia is changing direction the most from cross course to down course.

All of that culminates in massive rope loads at the 2nd wake, even if the ski is no longer rolled and loaded to the max, or even if there is no load on the ski. That rope load is not load for the sake of load. F=MA. That load is centripetal force that's SWINGING you up and around the pylon. If your max load was too soon, you most likely have already lost your connection and have missed the swing. You need to be swinging high on the boat to run shortline.

How does this relate to this thread? This is all about getting the rotation of the ski to start much earlier than most people think (stivot...?). When done well the preturn is truly a pre-TURN, where the ski is rotated and pointing across the course before you reach the buoy.

Finally starting to get it. Hope this helps you all as well.

• Baller

New numbers to "play with" on the Medium C75 if anyone is interested at 34mph.

2.540-2.560 | 6.690 to 6.730 | 1.050 to 1.250 | 28.5 front boot

For shorter line lengths stick to more depth and/or further back 1.050-1.15, for 15-28 maybe aim for 1.2-1.25, then use length to adjust turn rate. If turning too fast, add length. If nose is getting wet but not rotating/finishing back under the line quick enough, pull length out.

Its possible for some this may take a bit of filing to get far enough forward.

• Baller
So I'm curious. I have turned 3 @ 38 this spring. Never tried it before this early and my PB is turning 4 ball. Who else has been skiing better since getting on a Denali? Without a doubt by watching video, getting instruction from #adamcaldwell and reading threads in this forum regarding the GUT theory my skiing has greatly improved and I can still see improvements most times out. The skiing just feels...easier, stronger, more efficient. Anyone else?

• Baller
@ghutch agree with everything you said. @AdamCord has helped me with both technique and set up. @adamhcaldwell helped me with technique. They ,with all that they do, have made my skiing better than it's ever been by far. People are making comments about my improvements both from the boat and on shore. Plus the buoy count has gone way up. Denali & GUT rocks!

• Baller
@Skierx I would really like to see @adamhcaldwell and @AdamCord sell the heck out of skis and make some good money with this. On the other hand it'll make more skiers more competitive and keep them ahead of me. :'(

• Baller

Ok I have two open water free ski sets under my belt on my C75. I had been unsuccessfully trying to demo the ski for about a year. I finally gave up and just ordered one after having to cancel a trip down to Trophy in March due to stupid Covid.

I consider myself an Intermediate level skier with Advanced level passion for the sport. I just finally got my 28 off pass last summer (34mph).

Everyone I talked to that has demoed or is currently skiing the C75 kept saying how different it is than anything else. How it will feel really weird at first and you have to give it some time. Opinions vary from 3 sets to 5 before you can figure it out.

I did not have this experience at all.

Maybe it’s because my expectations were set for an initial struggle but I was blown away right from the start. The ski felt so stable, completely predictable, exceptionally free off the second wake. The biggest thing I found right from the start is how forgiving the ski is compared to what I have been on for the past 2 years. On my previous ski I always felt like I needed perfect technique which is not me. I have always written this off as that’s just waterskiing and me not being that awesome.

On the C75 I feel that even small adjustments in the right direction technique wise would produce noticeable improvements in the ski performance. I do not need to be perfect, I just need to move in the right direction. I can’t imagine how amazing this thing will ski if I can finally get off my back foot and stand up out of my damn compressed body position.

Granted I am only 2 free ski sets in. Things will most certainly be different when I get in the course and go through the red mind erasers for the first time. However I could not be more pumped to ski on this thing for the rest of the summer. It definitely feels like a platform I will be able to make great improvements on.

32 off here we come baby.

Just got my small C75. I used the setttings @AdamCaldwell posted on April 13. First pass felt pretty good but ski wasn’t finishing turn like I expected. I had set the distance from fin to back of ski at 1.050. I remeasured and realized I may not have used the true back of ski. I slid the fin back maintaining 1.050 as well as 2.54 depth and 6.69 length. What a difference! Ski is really turning well now. The only thing I want to adjust is the tip is coming up a bit out of the turn. Is this something that can be adjusted with the fin or is this just my poor form? Thanks!

• Baller

I’m struggling with the tip not settling down after the ball on my offside (2,4,6). All line lengths. Currently set at 28 5/8 6.797 2.53 1.058 7 degree wing. It is better with the S-Wing than standard wing, but still there. I’m having to set, get pulled up, then reset the tip down heading into the first wake.

Any tips on which direction to go first. Was thinking something simple like more wing angle to try first, but open to other ideas

• Baller_
@aupatking remember the word "recommendation", it's not a "one size fits all" world, people stand on a ski differently, that's why binding placement and fin adjustments exist, don't be afraid to move things around, but keep track, and try only moving one thing at a time, first boots, then fin, or the reverse