Should I buy FM EVO Rebel Z Hardshell bindings

I have a problem I like to get a new ski every few years or more. Every time I get one, I some how find a killer deal on a blank. Then I'm stuck trying to find bindings. I was thinking the hardshell bindings would be part of the solution to my problem. I do ski with a RTP so I would have to find one that fits different skis.

I have HO freemax bindings and Connelly talon bindings. I don't have access to a fancy ski lake with a course so I mainly ski at 32mph and 15 off.

Should I buy them or not?

• Baller

@Mastercraft81SnS

FM Rebel Z is basically like skiing in the various Radar boots since the RS1 where the liner can come out of the frame. It has a velcro strap on the liner to help keep that on your foot.

The FM systems are:

Revo Direct - bolted down no releases

Revo 500 has a sort of heel strap retainer for the boot

Revo Air - like a direct but retained by strapping instead of bolted to the plate for doing flips on a trick ski

Revo ST - silvretta heel (like a reflex) but with a toe clamp - more secure for tricking.

Revo Max - Silvretta heel toe block - very secure toe attachment.

EVO - strange system where the cuff is ratchet strapped around the liner but the cuff bolts are replaced with adjustable cuff clamps - the whole cuff then comes off the lower along with your foot. has friction washers and retainer clips. Can be dual hardshell

Quattro - mechanical release via a plunger sourced from a voile telemark binding. Can be single plate or dual plate.

• Baller

@Mastercraft81SnS not a problem.

You're in an interesting spot - I'm not necessarily a fan of people buying hardshell bindings if they're not around a community of people who use them. Odd things happen with them. Ratchet buckles go bad, the boot liners blow out of boats, you forget the liner in the trunk of your car, or mechanically something fails.

Not a big deal if people around you have spares in their bag, hardware and such.

The other thing is sometimes hardshells punish skiers - particularly skiers who don't have their weight forwards. Your front shinbone needs to come straight down into the cuff of the boot or even be forwards otherwise you "hang" on the rear cuff which amplifies that position down into the ski. Reflex white cuff might help that some.

If you have a connelly talon and are comfortable in the boot - I would consider buying a MOB single bootplate (possibly even used) http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Bindings&postid=51752

Then when you can swap boots on that plate over time and have the benefits of a hybrid boot and replacements as needed.