Suggestions on Itinerary for an Aussie

Robbo5252

• Baller

Hey all,

We have just booked our flights for next year for a trip to the US in late April/May for just over 3 weeks.

Flying into LAX & doing San Diego, Disneyland & Vegas.

Then flying across to San Fransisco where we will hire another car for a week & I hope to get some skiing in.

Thinking of heading to Liquid Zone for a few nights (hoping dates will line up with Terry Winter being there) but open to other suggestions of places to stay/ski. Would like to do Lake Tahoe & part of Yosemite in this time.

We then fly out of San Fran back home.

Any suggestions for places to stay or ski along the way? We will have a car other than while at Disneyland

We will be a group of 5 - 3 Adults and 2 kids.

Cheers

Robbo

• Baller_

Boy, if I were you, I’d do more sight seeing and less skiing. Yosemite isn’t a drive-by and Tahoe is a day. If @horton or one of his pals would give you a pull in Bakersfield (really Arvin) Kings Canyon National Park and Sequoia National Forest are nearby. Both are worth a visit. The tree “General Sherman” is said to be the largest living organism on the planet (although certain coral reefs might dispute that claim).

San Francisco is a beautiful city. Go south to Monterey and drive the Pacific Coast Highway. LA is not picturesque, but Hollywood is there, as is Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice Beach, and other beach-side communities.

If you are in Vegas, Hoover Dam and Death Valley are nearby. Both are very cool, for different reasons, and Death Valley might be in bloom when you are there. There is one spot in DV that’s almost 250 feet below sea level. The Grand Canyon can be seen by helicopter ride from Vegas, or it’s about a five hour drive. It’s magnificent.

California has some of the best and most varied scenery in the US. Travel around; you won’t be disappointed.

Lpskier

• Baller

As @lpskier said, lots to see in CA and you don't have to schlep your ski along everywhere you go. I'm sure you want to ski but as he said, there's a lot to see in the relatively short time you're there.

You can drive to the West Rim of the Grand Canyon from Vegas in about 2hrs or so. Either the South or North rim vistors areas are about 5hrs. West Rim has a glass bridge overlook and a couple other places to see the canyon all in the same reservation/park. The Hoover dam is a worthwhile tour.

• Baller
I suggest you skip Disneyland.. but that's just me (and I get if its for the kids). I'm down in North/Coastal San Diego. Lots to see/do down here depending on what you're interested in. I'm happy to provide a few ideas if you send me a PM. Definitely make some time for Tahoe/Yosemite. I don't know how much water skiing will be going on at that time of year but I once rented a boat on Tahoe so we could ski and it was 38 degrees outside. My hands were blue.

• Baller

Cheers for the responses. Disneyland is the main reason for the trip so we wont be skipping that part.

Looking at doing Helicopter for Vegas. Will look into some of the other suggestions.

May change skiing to a day activity & just hire gear then to give us more time to look around, but still on my list to ski on a private lake.

Would be more than happy to chip in for fuel/whiskey if anyone in that area wants to give me a tow.

@tlarocque I will shoot you a PM now for some ideas for San Diego.

Cheers

Robbo

• Baller
When you get to San Fran, at some point you may want to put the city in the rear view mirror. If you can pull off a jaunt north to the Redwoods, I highly recommend it, but it is a good distance. @lpskier gave some of the best advice about sightseeing.

• Baller
@BlueSki True but Muir Woods has Redwoods and it’s only 15 minutes from Sausalito. I’ve been to Garberville where the avenue of the Giants begins and it’s a once in a lifetime experience. Also highly recommend Maverick helicopters if going to the Grand Canyon. Really enjoyed that flight.

• Baller

Maverick is all but locked in now. Will not be hanging around San Fran long. Want to get on the road and explore. Tossing up the idea of hiring a Motor Home from San Fran for the week.

Going to hire a car from when we land in LAX until we fly from Vegas to San Fran so we can do as we please.