Skiing 2016 Vapor, but beginner course (15',28mph) - remove the wing?

Slalom.Steve

• Baller_

This is my first season ever in the course, and have completed a couple 15'off passes at 28mph. However, due to the kindness of my uncle giving me a great deal on his old ski, I'm skiing a 2016 Radar Vapor, certainly beyond where I'm at. It's been suggested to me by several people that I remove the wing at least until I'm skiing at speed and shortening the rope.

Thoughts? My only hesitation is that the ski and fin were likely designed to perform in conjunction with the wing, and wondering if it would throw anything out of whack.

• Baller

Does your uncle weight quite a big more than you? Is the Vapor a couple sizes too big? If not, then based on my past experience, I would suggest that probably you are really not doing yourself any favors by running that vapor. Even if it is a couple sizes too big, it is still probably not the most optimized ski for where you are. I've been pretty close to your shoes before and found the extra width of a Senate to be very helpful. Even a Union might be even more helpful if your progress was about to be slow (but I don't think it will be, a young kid like you will probably progress fast.

My thought with the wings in your case is actually that you just reduce the angle to kind of a minimum type of setting and that gets you a lot of the effect you desire in taking it off without adding any possible negative effects of actually taking it off.

That's what makes sense to me in my mind, but there are definitely some dudes on here that are more than allowed to override me and tell me I'm dead wrong. @SkiJay would probably be at the very top of that list.

• Baller

@escmanaze I think he ran all 6 on his 3rd try ever in the course with very minimal other past skiing experience in open water...he may be faster very soon.

It's a 67'' ski that I ran at 34 mph, tho I like it at 36 mph, too. Steve is lighter than me. His brother who is taller and heavier is on a 68'' Vapor...also one of my former skis. Both have now rounded 6 balls successfully and are pumped.

Steve and his brother got substantial, family-style discounts on both skis.

As for wing/no wing. A wing is far easier to measure than fin adjusts...take it off and see if you like it without the wing. If not, put it back on in the same position.

More important than the wing is getting reps/reps/reps and coaching from good course skiers.

• Baller
@StackedUp I too have been using a 2016 67" Vapor for 15' off passes at 28 mph like you. This is my second season in the course and I'm still working on completing a full pass. Last year I took the wing off as suggested by a couple of friends. I didn't like how the ski was behaving so I put it back at 7º angle instead of the stock 9º. I am getting close to running a pass but progress has been slow. Being no spring chicken may have something to do with that...