Radar Senate?

Spitfire

I’m looking for a new(er) ski. Haven’t skied much since my 20s; I know how, but my body doesn’t always follow through...

Anyway, I’m 5’4” tall and about 165 - 170 lb (hoping to bring that down again). How much of ski length is dictated by height as opposed to weight?

I am fairly aggressive, but getting older so I’m looking for something that won’t tax me too much. Currently looking at a 2017 67” Radar Senate Alloy on SIAd—too big? Just right? Hmmm. Should I be looking at a 65” Senate, or perhaps a 66” ski (don’t think the Senate came that length, but many other skis do).

Other skis I should maybe consider?

• Baller

Great ski, I'm on my 3rd 67" Senate - owned 3 constructions. 5'10 - 175lbs, had been skiing as low as 28mph 15' off in course, now skiing 32mph 22' off. Free skiing when I don't have the time to commit the trek to the course.

Alloy was the most forgiving, Lithium is a bit much for our public water course (amazing when the conditions are good), Graphite is a nice in between the 2.

My wife uses the 67" Graphite now, at 29-30mph and is same height as me, less weight then you and 67 is still perfect. She tried the 65" Lyric (same dimensions as Senate) and it was way too small.

• Baller
They say Alloy is more forgiving, but I went from 2015 Alloy to 2017 Graphite, and found the graphite to be lighter, easier to control, and just as forgiving. Makes me want to try the Lithium, but can't justify the price increase. Plus I'm really, really liking the Graphite:)

• Baller

@Spitfire ski size is technically based on weight and speed you ski as the ski does not know how tall you are. However I do think people who are exceedingly tall and light should try the longer sizes.

There have several times been skis that do not come in different lengths. Currently the Denali C-75 for instance is one length and 3 widths, and Goode a number of years back introduced a ski with a single length (I believe they sold it in different flex patterns?)

So from that theory perhaps its a load of crock?

• Baller

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-NiENHZt0sC7WDBaeVk6QK9OJzQ4-DYISGE1h_PPjPI/edit?usp=sharing

I recommend posting video to get the best recommendations possible.

Otherwise, yup, Senate is great. I have 2 and have loved them both. Vector boots are also great.

If you aren't going pretty fast, you may like the 67 better than the 65.

So, 65” Senate would work for me, but at higher speeds. How about water conditions? I don’t always get glass or just a slight riffle.

How about the Radar Vapors I see on SIA, like the 66” posted in this thread by Coach3?

Also, will only Radar bindings fit on Radar skis, or can one mix & match a bit?

• Baller

@Spitfire front bindings have been pretty universal for about 10-15 years other than some strange combos where sometimes the slots are too short for the right forward distance of the boot. Rear bindings unfortunately can be kinda of problematic.

A good solution being a universal rear toe plate from Wiley's.

Long-time free skier, started skiing a course the last 2 summers in MN. Stuck at 3-4 balls in a row. Purchased a Senate Alloy 67” last week after reading BOS forums. Hit 6 balls today after 2 wknds on the Senate. Went from frustrated to super stoked! Thanks Radar and BOS. ?

I just finished demoing the 2019 67” senate alloy down on Matt Rini’s course. I spent 3 days on it. It’s designed for 26-34 mph. It’s super forgiving, stable, and smooth in transition. I weigh 195 lb and 6’1”. You might look at radars website b/c I think the 65” may be a better fit for your frame. Great ski. I recommend it.