Having a bit of bad luck with overheating.

Tdub

So, end of season is getting close here in Northern Ohio and now is not the time to start having issues. Went out the other day and overheated. Got back in and replaced a beat up impeller. Started in driveway with hose. All systems go. Went out today, 80 degrees and butter, engine over heated. Should have changed the thermostat, I know. Back home, cannot get the housing off. Any tips? With my luck lately I'll break the housing. Thanks.

Cheers.

Tom

• Baller

Does the PCM have a trans cooler after the impeller housing and before the Tstat? If so, pull the hose off of that and look for impeller chunks and other gunk in there before pulling the Tstat.

On the Tstat housing, heat and lightly rapping on the screws might help

• Baller

How beat up was the impeller?

Bypass the silly strainer.

Can you tell us more about what kind of temps and when you’re seeing them? Idle or running etc?

Doubt the tstat is sticking. I’ll bet you a new one it’s opening by 160.

Don’t forget the little easy to miss paper gasket that goes on the RWP.

Dumb question... you do have RWP going the correct rotation right? As in the the little screw on side of housing for a lefty motor faces outward.

Sorry, screw faces inward. Can’t remember crap these days.

Took out the Tstat. Getting a new one tomorrow. Went up to 180 rather quickly. Got the warning light. This a 2004 Excaliber. I got the entire Tstat housing off. finally. Will check the trans cooler tomorrow. Thanks to all. I bet it is the Tstat.

• Baller_

Easy to test the t-stat, simply drop it in a pot of water turn on the stove use an IR gun or turkey thermometer and watch at what temp it opens. That will save you time if it is working, which it most likely is unless you see obvious corrosion which sounds like you may see based on your comment. Get a marine version, automotive ones don't like raw water and can corrode in short order.

Going up to 180 quickly indicates a lack of supply water, as noted check trans cooler, strainer and lines for the raw water pump for air leaks.