Fin edge question

Anderson

• Baller
This may be a dumb question, but I was just adjusting my fin on a "new to me" 2019 Vapor Pro Build and moving my bindings from my 2016 Vapor and I noticed that on both fins, the right edge of the fin has a beveled edge and the left edge of the fin has a straight edge....anybody know why Vapor fins are built that way? FWIW, I dug my HO A3 and A1 from a few years ago out of my ski closet and they have even bevels on each side of the fin.

• Baller

@Anderson - the machine shop just got lazy and then radar either missed it or feels as if it isn't that problematic. Cutting a fin from a sheet of aluminum can be done a few ways, but the top side is easy and the bottom side requires that you separate it from the set up, flip it and have a second fixture and process. Depending how they cut it - laser, router, cam, waterjet etc. there might be different amounts of finishing required, but I'd imagine most of these are cut and tossed into some sort of vibratory finisher then sent to anodizing with a minimum of additional "hand" finishing.

Maybe shoot radar an inquiry.

• Baller

Demoed and bought a ski in Florida once, when I got home and skied in cold water I could not turn it in one direction.

Did not notice anything skiing the Florida soup, turned out the fin had only one beveled side.

Took the grinder to the unfinished edge and everything was goode again ?

• Baller
The fin box on the Pro Builds takes thinner fins and it is a very tight fit to get a CG into it. I did not feel comfortable jamming it in there so I just ported the holes on the Radar fin like a CG. I do not know the thickness of a Whisper fin.