Big guy, short rope

drew7ski

• Baller
I'm 6'5" 250+ and ski aggressively. Mostly open water which is more turns than 6 at a time. 28 and 32 are where I spend most of my time. I'm on my third Radar in a row (two vapors and now a Senate) and haven't ever broken one. I try to ski efficiently but I often find myself overloading the rope and my ski when I forget to think. Lol

• Baller

I will say - if the company you bought them from doesn't want to have them back to do QC you're buying from the wrong company.

It sounds like there is some form of stress riser - if possible I think putting your bindings onto something like a G10 plate (both bindings) might help your issues there. BUT the ski shouldn't be breaking.

• Baller

6'5" and weigh about 230 and have never broken a ski. Radar products the last 10 years.

I run -32 in the course regularly and into -35...free ski at -35 and -38 and do much more of that than course ski. Now, I've broken many ropes, and two in the last two months. Not very happy about that I must say...both sides of the rib cage as one was my strong side pull and the other was the weak side pull.

I know of one model year of one particular ski that is prone to cracking. Happened to my brother-in-law several weeks ago, and have heard of other instances, as well. I won't say which particular ski, but I will say that the manufacturer replaced it with a newer model, free of charge and supposedly fixed whatever the construction issue was on subsequent releases. I would contact the manufacturer.

• Baller
Some brands of skis break more than others. I have broken 7-8 that I can recall from three different companies, but 4 were from the same manufacture. I was 200 pds or so in Men 3-5, when a majority of the skis failed. However, I snapped one in half two years ago, at 175pds. So mileage may vary.

• Baller

There is always a possibility a ski will break, I recently heard of a ski breaking in between the bindings, I have never heard of a ski breaking by this particular manufacturer before thier product is known for it's consistency in build.

I know other companies have had issues with prototypes that have been rectified before being available to Joe Public.

@drew7ski I would think some video and meaningful discussions with the ski manufacturer, they may be able to offer you a solution, I recently had some other issues and I was offered a custom made ski, Sadly I declined, because I had not ridden the ski ,so didn't want to commit.

I am sure that the manufacturer would like you to be happy with their product.

• Baller

This is a very interesting thread to me for a reason beyond breaking equipment. I've snapped a couple of older ropes in my day, fortunately at a moment that did not lead to injury (on the get-up in both cases), but have not had any other equipment fail.

However, I've been on an interesting path in my skiing which is why I find this thread interesting. I have been trying to ski more often and ski the course for the last 5 years or so. In that time my weight has ballooned up to as much as 270, but let's just say I was averaging 240 - 250 for the first four years. I'm 6'-1". At this weight I could not get through the course and suspected that weight was a big issue. If I slowed down to 28 MPH I could almost get through the course sometimes, but at my weight everything just sank so much it made things really hard. I usually free ski at 32 or 34 MPH at 15 or 22 off.

So this year I got serious - I have skied a lot more, exercised in other ways a lot more and ate right. Started the ski season around 255. I am currently at 225. I ran the full course for the first time at 235 lbs at 30 MPH. My best, at around 230 lbs, is 4 at 32 MPH. I've run 30MPH multiple times since that first success. The weather has taken a turn for the worse here in Seattle and I've not been able to attempt a course again at my new 225 lbs weight.

I am skiing on a 2015 Radar Senate Lithium, 71". There is no denying that as I lose weight my skiing is getting better. My primary theory is that I'm getting close to the ideal weight for my ski. I'm also skiing much better, with better positioning and quite frankly I'm just stronger too. For those who have chimed in here I'm amazed at the skills and power that must be controlled to ski deep shortline at higher speeds when you are at weights well over 200 lbs. First off - wow!!!! Second - what length ski are you all skiing? I know some don't want to say what brand broke - that is OK. As I continue on my downward weight trend I'm curious to know - when I should start to think about a shorter ski? As my weight moves down I'm finding my ski doing different things - should I start to play with the binding placement or settings as I lose weight? I particularly am struggling with onside turns. I can't seem to get the nose engaged and get the ski to really crank a sharp turn.

Thanks, all!

• Baller
@KRoundy onside turns there is always a tendency to fall back on the rope, if you do not carry the handle and stand up on top of your ski, it will not turn correctly, I would say probably more technique than the ski, front foot pressure is required, do not get confused with pushing on the ski, this we do not want.

• Baller

@drew7ski I am 6'1" 225+, haven't seen 200 since mid high school, basic linebacker build. Was solid mid 38 tourneys, ran it some in practice a couple years ago. Then my bad knee gave up, got it fixed (kinda), and it's been a long road back. M5 doesn't heal like M3. Got 4@35 at Nats, should have run it but Nat's jitters. Used to break skis and ropes but haven't for a good 10 years at least. Had a couple Radars since 2014 and just got on a Goode. My 2016 Vapor looks hardly used, have a 2019 Vapor I don't like (need to sell both). Have had the Goode Revolution for 5 months and love the way it skis. But I think I am borderline too heavy at 34 for it, 36 it would be prime. I did have to send it to Goode for repair due to a small section of sidewall pulled off, think tubing on handle did it on a start (tubing gone from handle now). It seems more fragile for sure than Radar for dings and scratches. The Revolution though is a really strong, solid platform under foot skiing and surprising good in rollers and wind chop. Doesn't feel like it is going to fold up ever.

All in 68"

Goode Revolution: Great so far (had an Goode Nano Twist that tried to kill me a couple times but it was as good when I sold it, after a season, as when I got it)

Radar Vapor: A 2014, 2016 and 2019 all good

D3: skied on them years ago, never broke one.

HO: skied on them years ago, broke a couple

Kidder/KD: Broke several back in the day, current ones won't handle over 210 (if that)

Connelly: skied on them years ago, never broke one, Pro I know who's tied with them said "yea, your too big for the GT-R."

Reflex: Demo'd, what a noodle, felt like it would snap at any moment, got off quick.

Hope this helps.

• Baller
Also, a side note, with the Denali Adams's one seems to break skis with regularity and the other one never does. And it's the lighter, more slender one that breaks them. Perhaps it's something you've started doing that is causing you to begin breaking skis?

I think it is likely technique. I am a big guy as well (220#) and I have broken skis, ropes, handles, pylons (x3) and boats. But, as I have gotten better, smoother and further down the rope those issues have lessened. I received numerous comments from tournament drivers about how much easier I was to drive for this season than last. If you have the weight to throw around, you can definitely break stuff and none of it will hold up if you are aggressive. But, as your technique improves it will settle out. I am on a Radar Vapor and haven’t had any issues at all. I did break an old HO VTX (the one with all the relief in the top deck). That design had a lot of stress risers built in but they have since gone back to a more traditional top deck. But HO warrantied it and they were great to work with on it.

• Baller
6'5 skied at 255 (maybe as high as 275) plus on 68 inch ski. At my best have run a few full passes at 35. Never broke a ski but as others have said, several ropes and handles. Been on O'brien, Duvual, KD, D3. After many years of getting fat I have started to get serious about the weight loss. Have gotten down near the 255 mark again and strapped on a pair of jumpers this year for the first ride in at least 12 years. Thinking another 30 lbs or so and next year can get serious. Will zero off give re rides for slow boat times? I have gotten my fair share over the years. Tournament drivers get ready. Hope to see you next year

• Baller
I have broken dozens of them. Pretty much broken them from all major brands. It has been my feeling that they don't seem to break down the road if they don't break soon after new. I am skiing now on a 10 plus year old Goode 9900 and I don't worry about it breaking unless I hit something.