NRG 1

Cent

• Baller

I am using a 66 inch NRG. I like it very much.

Interested in two things.

First I have lost weight and may belong on a 65 inch ski. I am 3 pounds below the minimum Wright st 34 mph. So I might get a new ski. Chart seems to suggest 65 inch.

Can anyone elaborate on the differences beeween the 2019 NRG 1 as opposed to the NRG which was from 2028. Someone suggested there were significant changes. . Thanks.

• Baller
@Cent, if you want a new NRG by all means give it a try. The D3 demo program is second to none. But, if you're that close to the weight range I don't feel that you'll see a performance advantage by going to a shorter ski. On the contrary, if it turns well for you a little longer is better.

• Baller

I've been on an NRG for over a year now...still love it. I tried both the NRG R1 and the EVO S recently. The R1 is nothing like the original NRG. More aggressive and felt slightly quicker. Did not have the super smooth turns as the NRG orig in my opinion...I prefer a little time at the end of the turn to get into position.

The EVO-S was really nice. Had a hard time sending it back...just wasn't in the budget right now, but if you're looking for a change in size and want to get a ski, demo both for $70, but I think you'll come out on the EVO S if you like your current NRG.

BTW, I'm on a 67 and at the very bottom of the weight range (165) @34 mph.

Can't beat the demo program...give it a go.

• Baller
I recently did a demo for both the R1 and Evo-S. Basically the R1 took some of the grove/tunnel pattern from the EVO and incorporated it into the NRG - basically making it faster. It is still forgiving and predictable but less "twitchy" than the EVO-s. I could be wrong but this is basically what I was told. For my level I loved the R1, EVO was too twitchy for me but I can see for better, faster skiers that it would be a great ride!

• Baller

I have been on the R1 since mid July. I tried the 2019 67" EVO in the spring for 2 sets and couldnt really get it going. (My wife is really skiing well on her EVO-S) In all honesty, I hurt my back early in the year and skied very little up to July. I rode it at regionals and ran a few at 38. My back is improving and I hope to put up some big scores this fall.

To me, the ski feels pretty symmetrical and I can scramble if I get in trouble. I sized down to a 66". The 67" felt big to me. I weigh 185

Paul Crawford and Will Bush have really helped me with my fin and binding location.

Hope this helps.

CS

• Baller
I've been skiing on the NRG for the past two years and really liked it. My impression was that it was a stable ski that carved tight radius turns and was really good on my off side. My only complaints with that ski was that it really didn't have any slide at the end of the turn and would sometimes over turn if I came over the front of the ski too far (especially on my off side). I just started skiing on the NRG - R1 and definitely like it better. My first impression was that the ski really turned well. There's definitely more slide at the end of the turn which I like. I'm running my bindings in the same place, but I moved my fin back and a bit deeper from what I was running my NRG. A driver that drives me often in practice said that I was much easier to drive on the NRG-R1 versus the NRG. I think that's a testament to the fact that I'm skiing smoother on it than I was on the NRG. I also feel earlier in the course than I was on the NRG even as the line gets shorter. I think that may be due to the fact that I'm staying more stacked coming out of the turn and through the wakes on the NRG-1. Overall I'm excited to be skiing on the new R1.

• Baller
I have been on the NRG for a season and a half. Really like the ski. Demo'd the R1 and the EVO. I am a mid 35 off skier. The R1 rode more like my NRG in that it has a phenominal off-side and is consistently stable in the turns. I had to move my bindings back a little to get the R1 to ride smoothly out of strong side turn. I did find the EVO has more acceleration, however I needed to be in a well stacked skiing position which is not always how I come out of a turn. . All that to say, I am staying with the NRG. I didn't feel the R1, for the price, was going to get my any further down the rope than my NRG. The D3 demo program is the best out there, try a couple.

• Baller

@StevieBoy.....I spent a lot of time experimenting with the CG Fin, and it kept getting better as I moved the bindings FWD a 1/16th" at a time, with Micro_Just on both bindings. Reflex FRT & R-Style Rear. Finally I got them as far FWD as they would go, 30 1/2" on a 68" NRG. I had it the best it had ever been, with .030 Depth offset, and CG Fin perfectly performing.

Then I heard from Adam Cord they were sending my Denali, and I wanted to test the Whisper Fin on the NRG, before it got here. Left the Bindings full FWD when I put on the WF, it was faster and would turn at higher speeds. BUT, you had to be REALLY aggressive with it and that's when it rewarded you. I had to ski my 28 opener, just like it was 38. The NRG was now transformed into a much better shortline ski.

I had used both the CG and WF before on the Vapor and EVO and my conclusion was that both these fins were way better than the stock fins. The CG just does everything better than the stock in all aspects. While the WF should be classified as "Aggressive Shortline." Just watch Whitney at 39 as an example.

It is also more sensitive to settings. You could almost tune it by sound because, when you get it right, it doesn't Whistle as much... Really True.

In my opinion the CG and WF can really transform a ski if your really ready to spend time playing with small adjustments to get them right where you want them. Well worth the effort.