fastest ski lake build

LoopSki

• Baller

Depends what you find. If you could find a natural valley with lots of clay in theory you just need to build a dam on one end and shape shorelines. If that had natural water flow into it that you could divert while digging you'd be in business.

If you have to haul in tons of clay and over dig and then line it...

If the material you are removing is valuable like good sand or good farm soil you might get a bunch of it sold and the buyer will get at it quick.

• Baller
Years ago we were skiing with Keri Tolzman in Wisconsin. He had a cranberry farm going as well as a couple lakes. He talked about needing an additional lake for regionals and how he used a large dozer to push dirt to the edges creating essentially a ditch. I forget what he said the time to dig was but he had a pump on the back of his dozer that I believe he said could fill the lake in a couple days.

• Baller
I remember an article in Water Ski magazine many years ago about a group of contractors that got together to build a lake for a fellow contractor...memory tells me it was 10 days, but I don't exactly trust my memory on that one. I do remember it was a very short period of time.

• Baller

My first lake started in May. We skied on it for Thanksgiving. We did survive a blown engine on the D8, a blown engine on the Nautique, a flood, a dry well, innumerable little disasters and a near zero budget. Learned a lot.

Of course we thought we'd be skiing in a month. Like I said, I learned a lot.

The Mecca site was commercially dug and took all summer - but moved a lot of dirt. I don't remember how long it took to dig the lake @gsm_peter skied at with me - it was a low priority project that took many years to finish.

Eric

• Baller
My lake was built in 3 months but did not ski on it for a full year to allow shoreline vegetation to establish and it was the best advice I could have received. If not you will get severe erosion and will regret it later unless you have 100 percent sandy soil. Think big picture.

• Baller
Yes my buddy from Ontario was just under 2 weeks from when he broke ground to when there were buoys floating in it. He had 2 different excavating companies digging 1/2 each with a 20k bonus to whoever finished their 1/2 first! Its the lake where the Barefoot Worlds were last summer.

• Baller

@Swini holy crap!

Mine was 6 months to dig, clay was so hard they spun the tires off the John Deere's pulling the pans and had to switch to an excavator and top load the pans.

6 months to fill, they finished after the rainy season.