Tournament of Champions 1982

whitem71

• Baller
I timed and judged in a couple of pro tour events and can't recall any rerides. Timing was only mid-course and full- course. A good drive can pretty much nail hand driving. As @thager says, there were some pretty bad drivers in the hand-driving days that could get good times with crappy pulls- and a few that would give crappy pulls with lots of rerides. Check out the old-school jump meters- those were pretty primitive. Did that at several pro tour events, too.

• Baller

In the eighties at least they had mid course & end course on a digital watch. In the 70's we had only end course & Minerva sweep stop watches. Things have changed a little. I remember when Al Lockett was developing a timing system that worked off magnets. Now its all GPS.

• Baller
Interesting that although the style adopted by most modern pro slalom skiers (I.e. Level head, forward reach, counter rotation) is quite different to that of this era, BLP still looks pretty on it all those years ago. Class act. Anyone else notice though KLP's gate was pretty much identical to Robert Pigozzis!