Best way and best products to restore an oxidized swim platform

Johnbrannan

Since the swim platform on my 2016 SN200OB is unprotected from the sun, the gelcoat started to fade, ie oxidize. So has the Seadeck, but that is not my main concern. The rest of the boat is fine. Who has a effective way to restore the shine on my gelcoat this off season? I am going to modify my cover to protect it from the sun next year. I saw a thread on BoS from 2012, but wonder what is new under the sun regarding gelcoat restoration techniques and products.

• Baller
There's no quick fix or miracle product. The oxidation has to be removed to reveal the gel underneath. For heavy oxidation you're going to have to start with wet sanding. After that it's 3 stages of compounding with a buffer using a heavy, medium, and then fine compounds.

• Baller

Get some collinite cleaner and wax. If you scrub really hard with the cleaner it will pull the oxidation. Evidence is the gel color on a white rag. Did the whole back of this boat a year or so ago. Didn't get picks of before and after on the boat but did for the platform. wb6ru2zgkg7m.png

• Baller

Not too much new in the world of gel - any product that promises to fix oxidation without cutting through the oxide layer is at best just making it look shiny.

I usually will go to the worst area and to a test patch using something like 3M marine restorer/wax combo. Basically to determine if I can get to an acceptable level of appearance with a minimal amount of work then that's the easiest route - once you're done it's about blocking the UV exposure.

If you get that test area done and it looks dull again right away you'll need to cut harder, with a boat that new you shouldn't have to wet sand but you might need a rubbing compound.

• Baller

I'm a fan of The Chemical Guys Boat Heavy and Boat Revive compounds followed by a nice wax. Redid the transom of my dad's boat this year for his birthday. On this one, I started with some light wet-sanding, mostly to get rid of the raised areas where the original letters were. If I didn't care about removing the ghosts of letters past, the compounds would have been fine to restore the finish.

IMG_20190813_113925.jpg.236671e678354706

IMG_20190813_145844.jpg.807d63f6c99c382f

• Baller

wet sand with 600, then 800. Then compound. I like 3M cutting compound, followed up by 3M Perfect-it. Add a final layer of wax. When you are done, get a platform cover. Evolution covers makes them.They easily slide over the platform and clip to the boat.

gx3y1edfb9dw.jpg