Used Oil Analysis

E_T

Anyone else do used oil analysis on their boat ? Here is 52hrs on a indmar mcx with shell Rotella T4 15w and Wix filter. Running AMSOIL 15W40 with Amsoil filter this year.Fuel dilution is most likely due to a sight leak on a injector nozzle pretty typical for this generation of motor eajba1zayqd6.jpeg

• Baller
I have done a few in the past but I hope to establish a trend on my 2020 boat next year in order to post here. I'm in the Oil Industry in Industrial Lubricant Sales so this is right down my alley. In fact, your report comes from the same lab that I use via Lubrication Engineers, Inc. The lab does private labelling but it is Polaris Labs.

• Baller

@lhoover

Basically wear metals are the components of things like bearings, tappets, valves etc. A good fleet maintenance type guy can look at the presence of these and quantity and provide insight as they know say the components of a main bearing.

Things like silicon can come from sand getting through air filters

Additive metals are protective in the oil and can be depleted in used oil.

Shows acidity and fuel, water or soot. Soot can come from blow by for instance

What is more telling than one oil test is a series of oil tests over time. That said the value is way greater on say a tractor with 10 gallons of oil to a change being able to figure out when to change to save oil but not destroy an engine really adds up.

• Baller

What percentage of your hours are at idle? That is where fuel dilution comes from in the ski boat application with GM low tension piston rings, and it’s not so good for oil lubricity or viscosity. According to indmar, it’s a reason to change it earlier than 50 hours if you are a hardcore 3 event / private lake slalomer (stops after every pass, all the time).

Link to Indmar service bulletin:

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com//attachment.php?attachmentid=148771&d=1470931299

• Baller
The first thing I look at on the report is the Severity Status in the top/right upper corner. This one is a ‘2’ which is abnormal, meaning a few values are flagged on the report. Then, look at the report, particularly the color-coded items that are ‘out of bounds’ to a degree. Last, get the trend of the next sample compared to this one. If you fill out the paperwork correctly, they both show on the next report.

• Baller
@E_T , I have the DI, 6.2 and it calls for running 93 Octane so I assume that’s supposed to support clean valves. I also have the 6.2 in my Chevy Silverado with 152K miles and I normally run 93; haven’t had any problems. Another options is to occassionally ad a fuel additive if you don’t run Premium Gas.

• Baller

Correct me if I'm wrong on DI, but unless something has changed, fuel octane has nothing to do with its purity or cleanliness, or for that matter, supporting clean valves. Higher octane relates to its ability to withstand compression without pre-ignition. Internet says the 6.2DI is 11.5 : 1. That's quite high, and why it requires hi-test, not for cleanliness. However, I suppose a knocking engine wouldn't have as good of a burn, in which case it could have an indirect effect.

My wife has 6.2 DI in her denali. Run nothing BUT regular 87. No issues at 75k. Am I missing something here on DI?

As for the OP, I'd hazard that it's getting fuel blow by.