HO Omni & bindings post injury

george

• Baller

I am hoping for some advice on a new ski & binding choice. I have been skiing on an HO Monza with Approach bindings for the past 10 years, and I plan on updating my equipment for the next year. I ski almost exclusively open-water on the Illinois river, 36mph. (As a point of reference, I have run 22 off.)

So I have two questions:

1. I am thinking of an HO Omni (Syndicate or Carbon?). Which of these would be a better choice? Any other alternatives I should be looking at?

2. At the end of this season, I ruptured my (back foot) achilles tendon, so I assume I should move to a RTP? And for safer release of the front, should I prefer Animals over a binding such as xMax? (With the Approach's I've had some bad crashes in which they didn't release. To keep my feet from moving around, I need to have them quite tight.)

Thank you! :)

• Baller

@george Sorry to hear about your injury.

Seems to me if you're skiing 36 mph, you ought to get a ski design for 36 mph. I've ridden the Omni and its a great ski but I'm not sure it was specifically designed for that speed. You might be better served going with the Alpha or Omega. I'm not saying that the Omni won't be good at 36, but that you might perform better with a different ski at 36. I personally would get the Omni Syndicate if I were to choose.

I changed to reflex releasable bindings in the front and xMax (VERY loose) in the rear. I tried the RTP but I couldn't hack it. I'm sure it was all in my head. My setup seems to work well for me and it has released a couple of times during big crashes. I ski 32/34 mph up to 28 off. Good Luck!

• Baller

@george The slightly wider shape of the Omni makes it ideal for speeds up to 34 mph. If you are not interested in slowing the boat a little, consider a true tournament-width ski like the Alpha or Omega. As an alternative, you could consider going down a size with the Omni. Also, coming off an injury, slowing the boat to 34 and moving to a more "supportive" ski like the Omni could be easier on your body. For open water, I slightly prefer the dampened feel of the Carbon Omni, especially when the water isn't perfect.

Regarding boots, at your speed and ability, I think you're better off looking at the Animal or a Syndicate Hardshell on the front. The overlays can be adjusted to your preference and, once set, will generally offer a more consistent release than a laced boot because it takes the human factor out of the equation. If you've never used an RTP, it can be a bit of an adjustment to get used to. If you're worried about that, then the Rear Animal boot is what I would recommend. As @owennibley stated, it is a good idea to go a little more loose on the rear boot when using a hardshell on the front.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller

Thank you very much guys! I like the idea of a ski that allows me to ski longer sets, so I guess I'll be slowing down to 34mph and going with an Animal in the front and RTP in the back.

(I used to ski with an RTP before moving to double boots with the Monza, so I am sure I can get used it again.)

• Baller
Many other threads on recommendations for bindings and releases. Especially if you like a tight boot, and skiing 36mph I would definitely be looking at a release system. I use, and highly recommend the MOB system. You can put a variety of boots on that release and strap it on nice and tight. Many people use the radar HRT rear hybrid when switching from the double boot instead of going all the way to a RTP.

• Baller
I'm with @ScottScott on the release binding, I also use the MOB. It's fantastic just cranking the bindings tight and going. No worries about the fine line between loose enough to release and tight enough to perform. MOB also let's you put whatever binding you like on the system. I actually use an xMax on mine and love that I'm comfortable for 12 passes plus 2 min between each. What works for one person may suck for another.

• Baller

Thank you guys! Unfortunately the MOB and other such systems are out of my price range.

Any thoughts on the HO vMax's? They were the top of the line HO boot a few years ago and Bart's has '15 and '16 models at a steep discount.

• Administrators
@george I would go with Syndicate hardshell and something like a Reflex R-Style. Going from double boots to a front boot and a kicker can be a big adjustment but a 1/2 boot like the R Style is a easy transition.

• Baller

I'm not a big fan of lace style bindings alone. They are, in my opinion, not safe since the user must set how tight they are each time. A little too tight when you happen to go out the front and it's a real bad day/month. Laces are fine with the MOB but that's it for me.

The MOB really isn't that much when compared to a single hospital visit or even an x-ray. Just my experience.

• Baller

@george - I’m not familiar with the HO vMax but I have a “like new” HO xMax front and ART on SIA for a good deal:

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Bindings&postid=53777

I moved to the HO Carbon this summer, like @savaiusini said it’s a very easy-on-your-body ski and good deals out there on ‘19 models.