Masterline 3 event roller

GaryJanzig

• Baller
Does anyone have the Masterline 3 event roller for carrying their gear on a plane? If so any problems getting it checked in, and how much did it cost to check it. Are you able to carry a pair of jumpers, a slalom ski, and a trick ski at the same time? I am trying to plan a trip to Florida(my first in 20 years), but trying to find a way to save on baggage fees verses carrying separate slalom and trick bags. I used to be under the handle GAJ0003. Unable to reset my password since the email address is not working when I sign in.

• Baller_

Wow, that's the ultimate "your mileage may vary" question.

2 big things to watch out for:

- the 50lb weight limit. Jumpers and a slalom in a 3 event bag with a moderate amount of auxiliary equipment will get close to 50 lbs. It really depends on the gate agent. Sometimes they won't even weigh it and some other anal checkin people will make you take stuff out if you are at 51 lbs or charge some outrageous amount.

- you do NOT have "water skis". You have "skis". They are "sporting equipment". That falls under exemption for most excess baggage fees. If you say water skis, they will start looking in the guidelines and get lost until they get a supervisor who may or may not want to charge $300 for some odd reason.

Some people swear by using skycaps and couple of $20 bills to avoid the hassle. Have the $$ visible as they are checking you stuff in. YMMV:)

Even without the weight issue, putting jumpers, a slalom and trick in a 3 event bag is a challenge. Better to separate out and put trick skis in a sporttube or other bag and allow for some padding.

Good luck!

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

Fully agree with @Bruce_Butterfield It is a YMMW question and his points are right on. I seriously doubt you can get all three events to physically fit in the bag anyway. Even with a hard shell binding off the slalom and trick skis and no bindings on the jumpers it’s essentially impossible to zip up the bag. And even if you do, you have minimal protection around the skis. My recommendation is to put the slalom and trick in a hard case and jumpers in the three event bag with your other stuff like vest, handle, helmet, etc.

In my experience the best way to avoid damage is to at least moderately protect the gear by strategically packing things like wrapping wetsuits and vests around the skis. The best way to reduce the cost of the bags is to fly a lot to take advantage of the free baggage allotments. Perhaps look into signing up for a airline credit card to skip the baggage fees.

• Baller
If packed properly, you can get jumpers, two trick skis and a slalom, with all the other needed stuff along with swim suits and towels in the 92 inch bag. As for bag fees it is hit and miss. It seams like going into a larger event like nationals, if the schedule works out that you ski early in the week...they tend to let the fees go. Later when they have handedly a bunch of big bags good luck. I have also found that if I check the bag in, I get charged. If my son checks in the female agents let him slide. Don't know why.

• Baller

I have a similar padded roller bag (made by Dakine) and I've travelled with it a million times over the past 10 years. Florida, California many many times. I've NEVER had a problem with damage nor getting it on the plane. I have a system for packing it with as much as 2 slalom skis and a trick ski. Never tried jumpers. I've had it long enough that we used to pack it with skis and diapers for the kids. I wish I would have documented how much we've put in that bag over the years. Truly an amazing piece of luggage.

We usually fly Southwest. 2 bags fly free per passenger. My favorite airline by far. I use the counter as well as Skycaps and always tip the Skycaps well. Again never a question or problem with the luggage and never damage. I want to say I've probably done 25 RT flights with that bag.

I've gotten some comments like "Man those are some long golf clubs", but never questioned after just saying they were skis or waterskis. Considered sports equipment and not usually a problem.

• Baller_

Dr. Moe has the masterline 3 event bag/ roller. The unit is extra heavy duty and holds all her gear and more. Down side is the zipper is a bit light duty for its application. I took my two event masterline roller to a canvas shop here in PC and had a #10 zipper sewed in after the original let go. Mine lasted 4 years and went around the world once.

• Baller
In the past I have carried my trick ski, ropes, vest, and shorty wetsuit in my trick ski case, and the slalom in it's own case. The last time I flew to Florida was in 2000. The trick ski case is about the size of most suitcases. I had my 68'' slalom in it's own case in the past. Would I still be able to do that today? I looking at flying on Southwest.