2014+ ProStar rudder grease nipple -> not sure it's taking any grease

MichaelWiebe

• Baller

I'm not sure I've ever gotten any grease into my ProStar rudder grease nipple. I've removed the nipple itself; it's not plugged and is working. I'm expecting to see some grease come out at the top of the rudder shaft, but haven't.

And to pump any grease in is extremely hard, and just ends up bypassing the nipple at the entry point.

I've also moved the rudder to various positions, thinking that may make it easier to grease. No difference.

Has anyone else experienced any difficulty with this? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

7scvr2u6rnp8.jpg

• Baller

A zerk fitting has to be aligned pretty exactly with the grease gun coupler/end on all planes otherwise you're going to get this result. Seems obvious but worth mentioning I suppose.

Additionally you could replace the nipple or try a different grease gun fitting to isolate the issue.

• Baller_

Unscrew the "zirk" fitting and check if it will flow grease through it. I have seen these fittings for some reason blocked.

MC rudder ports have a hard vesconite bushing that can be replaced. If it does not get drilled at the grease port it will block grease from being pushed.

• Baller

https://locknlube.com/collections/grease-fitting-rejuvinators/products/grease-buster-shop-sizehttps://locknlube.com/collections/grease-fitting-rejuvinators/products/grease-buster-shop-size

This thing is the jam.

de0tkwpn2qci.png

Kind of pointless if you only need to do one.

On the old boats that these ports sucked to access I strongly suggested installing one of these and zip tying it up behind the rear seat - no need to pull the floor. https://locknlube.com/collections/greasing-accessories/products/grease-fitting-relocation-kit

• Baller

Looking in to this some more, the Kynetx grease available in the cartridges is MD, not HD and has slightly worse water washout resistance (5% vs. 2.5%). However, I was able to find another alternate at the link that @BraceMaker provided.

This one has all technical specs and product description exactly identical to the Kynetx HD, which crosses back to the original Alpha FG2-100. I'm guessing this is the same stuff under a private label. Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C3M6N1S/?coliid=IXL61A28XGFDY&colid=2MHA1F0J0YRRH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

• Baller

If grease isn't getting in (the original problem of the thread) it doesn't matter what grease you use. If you grease regularly, you will still get adequate lubrication from any marine grease.

So, how did you fix the problem of NO grease to the rudder? And did that change how the boat drives?

This is a common problem I've had. New zerk fittings, new grease gun ends, rubber grease gun hoses and just struggling have been my unfulfilling solutions. Drop the rudder and hand grease might be easier. Too often I just run dry.

Anybody done @BraceMaker 's flexible zerk extension successfully? Also, tapping the rudder box is difficult - is there a threaded pipe saddle that could go over the rudder box to add a zerk fitting?

Eric

• Baller
So I had originally thought that a specific grease was specified because of the type of material it comes in contact with? Reading that the grease is a food contact grade it must be primarily so that if bilge water comes in contact with it that it will not cause harmful pollutants when the bilge water is pumped out into the lake. Is this a correct assumption?

• Baller

@Dacon62 I think that's the point no one used to care but probably its greener to have that.

@eleeski - I added one to my old prostar works great - there was never a great way to get in there other than pulling the tank or really cramming your hand back in there.

• Baller

I ended up not needing to take the rudder assembly apart after all. I noticed grease coming out under the boat and above the rudder itself. So it was taking the grease; it just took a bunch of muscle power, with some grease bypassing the zerk fitting / not getting in. But some was getting in. So, all good. Thanks for all the input.

PS: I will also grease the steering cable this Fall, since I just learned that exists from another thread here on BOS. Thanks for that.

• Baller

If grease is going into the fitting, based on the pumping of the grease gun lever not feeling locked up, then most likely, the grease is escaping below the hull, where the rudder enters.

Dumb question, but do you have grease in the gun?