Michigan Water Skiing - January 2, 2020

MISkier

• Baller_

We were fortunate to get in some water skiing in Michigan today.

Many thanks to our friend, AJ, for generously providing his 1989 American Skier with the 454 engine for the cause.

Air 45F. Water 35-40F. It wasn't too bad in the drysuit. My feet were the most affected.

Right at the end, we do encounter some ice that had broken free from shore during earlier runs and I decided to drop and avoid any collisions.

This completes my quest to ski in every month in Michigan.

Note: those drinking beer had already completed their skiing and were not driving.

With no skiing since early October, I suspect I will notice it tomorrow or soon after.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

@bishop8950, prior to this, my earliest was February 22 a couple of years ago. I think we had something like 60F air and around 40F water.

Latest that I've skied buoys was November 6 (45F air, 45F water) several years ago.

A couple boat dealerships have polar bear ski events in December. I participated in one of those on December 1st a few years ago.

March skiing is quite common for our group. My earliest buoys are March 24.

@MDB1056, we always have a cooler full of hot water for hands and feet. And, there is no way I would be only in a wetsuit in 45F water. I frequently wear my drysuit into the summer and, as a another personal record, have worn a drysuit in every month in Michigan.

• Baller
@MISkier you and @Rednucleus would get along great. He is a BIG FAN of the drysuit. He doesn’t like to ever get cold while skiing. We skied on December 21 and again on New Year’s Day in 46 degree water with the air around 44. Very pleasant in a drysuit. Having a heater and hot water shower in the boat made skiing doable. We usually ski all year around here in the PNW.

• Baller_

How do you decide what is the latest set of last season vs the earliest set of the next season?

My latest set of the season as a New Yorker, in my mind, was January 1, maybe around 2010. My earliest was March 18 in 1974 (no wetsuit, no drysuit, and I missed my start. Crap that was cold.)

I figure there has to be at least a couple months of ice between seasons.

Now that I live in Florida where I have no ice, my season ends and my new season begins with the last tournament of the calendar year. How unromantic.

Lpskier

• Baller

I was fortunate enough to join Kevin Day and the group for a Polar Bear Water Ski on New Year's Day in St. Louis under the Arch on the Mississippi. Air was a sunny 58 degrees and the water....it was muddy! A large crowd watched 6 or 7 skiers brave the fast flowing river. The eventue2hpp381wa4.jpg

pvk0ob16q55q.jpg

42shsvfqxcdi.jpg

raised approximately $2,000 for the Missouri Disabled Water Ski Association.

• Baller_

@lpskier, I guess I use calendar year as the reference point. Usually, it's much more divided, as we'll stop skiing in late October and won't start again until about March. So, that span of time sort of delineates the season boundary. I'm going to consider my January 2 ski run as the first of the next season.

I realize the AWSA tournaments season is far different, but that switches in August, anyway. So, my first ski of the season in that scenario would be the first skiing after Nationals. Likewise, the latest ski would be just before Nationals or during. Neither of those make any sense when discussing the battle between the skier and the elements.

• Baller

@MISkier , Billy's puddle unfroze earlier in the week and if your desperate to turn bouy's bleach your bu out and make the drive over. The MC is buried behind the snowmobiles in the barn.

The bouy's are still in cause the owner is lazy.....or smart so he doesn't have to put them in when spring comes.

• Baller

I tried to find the thread with Brooks skiing with the Shorts beer guys in winter in Michigan, but I didn’t so I’ll put this here. After @MISkier’s video, this Pure Michigan video was next. Skiing, beer, and summer days on a warm Michigan lake are perfect for sharing on a cold winter day. If you have never done a Michigan lake trip, you should.