I want to host a tournament. How do I do that?

aupatking

• Baller

I have a site with a surveyed course. Incredible venue has a stage and is an amphitheater. I was thinking something along the lines of Buoys Beer and BBQ type fun format with a band at night and plenty of area for camping and campers. We’ve held a weekend long music festival onsite before with camping, but no skiing involved.

For you guys who have held these things, is there any point seeking a sanction? At best, this could be a “C” but most likely an “F” sanction. The lake has insurance for waterskiing already, so I’m not seeing much reason to involve AWSA but I’m totally open to reasons why I should and how.

• Baller
One reason to sanction it would be that it would likely boost the number of entrants. While some people are looking for just a fun time on the water, many others (like myself) are looking for a score in the books too. Providing both would be a big lure.

• Baller_
@aupatking, I believe you will also need to get your site registered with USA Water Ski to get a sanction. I don’t know what that entails, but there may be lead time to do that before you can create a sanction for that site.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

And, I agree with @jcamp. Experienced skiers will want an opportunity for a score in the books. Those that don’t care and only want 4 passes, etc. can still opt to ski class F (make sure to also sanction as Grassroots) or you can have a separate, non-sanctioned slot for them.

We are doing a couple of events in Michigan this year for new skiers that will not be sanctioned tournaments. If your goal is to get some new skiers and you already have separate insurance, you probably don’t need a sanction.

• Baller
@aupatking, what region of the country? I would contact your EVP to see what the schedule looks like in your area. Clubs are in the process of finalizing schedules as we speak. Avoiding conflicts may be a requirement in your area and is always a good idea.

• Administrators

@aupatking I think before you decide sanction or no sanction, F sanction or C section you need to figure out who your audience is and what your goal is for the event. Who are the participants that you are trying to attract?

I always envisioned the BallOfSpray cash prize as a Class C or F event and darn it if it didn't end up always being a Class L. I'm not suggesting you want to do a class L but I am suggesting that it completely depends on your desired audience.

• Baller
@aupatking heck between me @Jody_Seal, Mo, Jaz & Brett you got the officials needed for class C, finding a date everyone can come gets harder. Who is going to come ski it with us? Beer & BBQ sounds good! Or maybe Mexican!

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

Do it!

Working with experienced folks makes for a much lighter work workload and a lot of fun. I’ve only directed one so far but the crew that asked me to do it were so good at the critical aspects of our Class C that my family could focus on the food and the fun. Raffles, drawings, sponsors etc.

Horton is on point. Know your audience. We had a class L but the three or four guys who wanted it were all injured. It’s harder and more expensive to do Class R but I’m sure you know that.

• Baller

I really want to thank @klindy for reaching out to me. We talked yesterday evening and he’s sent me a pretty comprehensive list of information that USAWSWS has set up for anyone wanting to hold an event.

As for target market, as @Horton stated, our lake is not the standard, purpose-built ski lake. We have a short setup end that can either be skied 4-ball or 6, and a longer end that is 6. It’s for that reason I don’t really see us doing more than a C tournament. It skis great, but as I said, is non-standard. Freddie and Luzz have skied with me here, and both said great things. Lucky set this course up, with Ed Brazil and KLP has skied here with the lake owner. It’s, I guess I’d call it, an “Old School” type site.

I’m working on the removal of the island on the short end, as a safety precaution. For us that ski it all the time, it’s a non issue, but we are happy to ski into -35 (I’m almost there) on good day. For guys skiing shorter, I’d like to have it gone to make for an easier and safer drop and for long liners not used to the site, that island being gone would make it perfectly safe and simple.

As I stated, the site and stage really make this place a special venue for a non-traditional tournament scene. We’ve held some lower level national acts on the stage/dock. @mmosley899 I’m going to be calling you, my friend.

This picture was before we built the stage/dock at a concert event.

1q8l3jv6jghf.jpeg

• Administrators
@aupatking if the setup is borderline have you considered an 8 ball set up. @Phil Hughes has an 8 ball on his very short lake and it works great.

• Baller
Champions Lake has a 8 ball setup but you ski a six bouy course, it has automated mechanisms operated from the boat, that pull the bouys down that would normally be in the way for setup, for simplicity you could have people either end, just pull them down by hand, just a couple of blocks with pulleys and some cable, would work, as long as they were paying attention.

• Administrators
@Stevie Boy you do not need any of the pulleys or mechanisms. you just leave all the buoys where they're at. after a practice ride it's no big deal.

• Baller

The mechanisms I think would add a lot of confusion to the T/C side of things.

Since an 8 ball has red entry gates prior to the green 55's which are the "boat guides" of the return 6 ball you literally just have to remember to pull out at the greens as per usual. The weird part is that you're skiing right at the return direction 5 ball as you come into the course.

• Administrators
it is unbelievably confusing the first time you ski it but after a couple of passes it's fine. I've skied extremely well at Phil's lake without any of the mechanisms to pull down the extra balls.

• Baller
@BraceMaker @Horton both correct observations, I put in the Record capability 8 buoy course at West End Slalom in Atlanta. Not really a problem after a few rides. I have skied @aupatking lake also.

Mike's Overall Binding

@aupatking there's also an option to run a 6 ball course all one direction. Clearly not the most efficient time-wise but possible and all within the rules. That said, you're course is already in place, you ski there today and everything works. As long as you're comfortable from a safety standpoint, anyone who's been around for a while has skied on extremely short lakes or lakes with funky setups.

• Baller_

@aupatking, isn't your lake about 1850 feet? With that much room, I wouldn't worry about any special course configurations or pass direction options. All you really need is a boat with enough power for the acceleration. Hopefully, you have at least a 6.0L or 6.2L. The 5.7 might struggle, especially at 36 mph. However, I don't think you have much altitude affecting the performance.

Here in Michigan, we had a site on the West side of the State that was 1750 feet. We did a 6 buoy configuration and went straight in. We even held the State Championships there many years ago.

I'd run a regular 6 buoy setup and a fast boat and you're good to go.

@horton give me a panda if you want. I was simply pointing out there are options which are already within the rules. No special permissions needed. When we spoke the other night my goal is simply to remove ANY barrier possible for the opportunity to bring a new site online. I kinda think that’s my role as EVP of the region.

So while one way slalom is an acceptable solution in terms of the rules, it’s obviously inefficient. I also recognize that the course was installed by Lucky and Ed Brazil, and it works, so why change it. How is my suggestion any worse than everyone else recommending an 8 ball course? I’m certain if Lucky and Ed felt that was the right thing to do initially there would be an 8 ball course in the lake now! Again my goal was to minimize the work needed and provide an option to make sure everyone today, @aupatking and the owner, are at a comfort level they need to be to have a tournament.

So I’ll make another suggestion along those same lines. There is a lake in the Western region that has a standing rules exception to allow the skier to let go of the handle on one end of the lake due to the length of the lake. That lake also has an 8 ball course. That lake is Dave Goodes lake in Ogden Utah. I’ve skied there multiple times and it’s different but it works. Again removing obstacles to make it work.

I have committed whatever help @aupatking needs to make it work for them. I’ll help with sanctioning, rules, officials, promotion, whatever. Again, I think that’s my role.

• Baller

I wonder if the desire to have a higher class tournament is because, whether intentionally or not, that’s the group that gets targeted? I really really liked Travis’ B, BBQ, B event and am really looking forward to upcoming events of the like.

I ski KLP’s 8 ball course. I must be a dumb Panda recipient but 4 out 6 passes I spend count buoys and trying to remember what to do and when.

• Baller

@klindy For a fun tourney a one way could be fun with sort of a head to head to head format.

You would do have skier groups of say 10 people sorted by average scores with same openers. First group say are 15 off ZBS. Everyone gets pulled one way and walks or is shuttled back. Next skier is on dock waiting. Repeats one pass per skier at a time till you miss. Top skier in each pool gets to run in next group.

Maybe with 2 boats like collegiate trick. Get someone to pull a little wagon train of skiers back to the start dock.

This would be a crowd pleaser because you would have a constant announcement of a new skier with no real downtime and every pass increasing through the day.

• Baller
@BraceMaker there are only 8 things you should see in the course after you pull out for the gates, anything else and you are not concentrating! Mental toughness?

Mike's Overall Binding