Sportube 3

foxriverat

• Baller
I picked one up on ebay great deal. I offered $150 received in less then a week. Not sure how many he has. When I bought mine ad said last one but he keeps adding them. Also answered a question I had within an hour. Just passing on a good deal. Says fishing but there all the same. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sportube-Series-3-Fishing-Travel-Case/143484087368?epid=1400183516&hash=item2168516c48:g:N60AAOSwff5eBcsM

@Eljaybee without bindings you can stack up a lot of slalom skis. I routinely travel with a slalom ski with Goode Powershell bindings attached as well as a trick ski. Old trick had rubber Wiley bindings I left attached, new trick ski has a reflex binding I take the boot off of. With rubber bindings, I put the front binding 'between' the powershell boots and slide both skis in together (put the slalom in the bottom of the sportube and pull it up slightly to interlock the trick bindings with the slalom ski then slide them back in together). I typically wrap a beach towel around the fin end of the slalom (wrap a single loop of duct tape around the towel) and lay my vest over the tip of the slalom before sliding the top section on the sportube. I always put my gloves, rope, handle, trick rope, screwdriver and even calipers in the tube as well. With the vest over the tip and towel over the tail you can 'compress' the two halves of the sportube a bit to find the hole that offers the tightest fit when closed. I always put the trick ski in with the bottom of the ski toward the top of the sportube. I've never had any damage packing this way.

I have traveled with 2 slaloms and a trick but one of the slaloms was blank and the other with bindings. I've even put a long board skate board in the tube with the slalom and trick packed as detailed above. Pretty versatile packing tube.

• Baller

My brother Joe has one in Denver, hardly used and in perfect condition.

He'd let it go for a song I'm sure if s'one local is interested as his spine and knees put an end to his skiing. He's not excited about shipping the thing as that wouldn't be cheap. If it was I'd tell him to ship it my way and give my old one away which is beat up but functional.

• Baller
I use a 2. It's adequate for a slalom and gear - sometimes I put my Reflex boot in my carry-on but it's not necessary. Last weekend I used it for my ski, 2 heater tops, vest, handle, flip flops, and personal case. It definitely wouldn't work for a slalom and a trick though.

• Baller
@Nando - I went with a 2 because the 3 was not long enough for my snow skis (188cm). I wish the 2 was a 1/2" or so wider, the slalom ski fits a little tighter than I would like and it is hard to get two pairs of big snow skis in it. But, it works.

• Baller
Agree with @harddock. TSA not only opens the tube, they also often go through your ski's bag. On my recent trip things did not come back exactly like I had packed them, but it was close enough. I purposely do not try and pack it too perfectly or include too much gear. I try and make it obvious how things should be put back together.