IF THEY BUILD IT WILL YOU COME? Slalom skiers dream-family friendly vacation with private lake.

Dacon62

• Baller
Testing the waters so to speak to gauge the level of interest of what is currently a 4.5 star Mexican vacation destination Resort that does not have a slalom site but would like to approach the developer (a skier himself) to adjust the design shape of a water feature that is tentatively planned into a private ski lake. The Resort is right on the Ocean and features an uncrowded 12 mile beach, approximately 150+ air conditioned full kitchen rooms, 3 pools, 2 restaurants, bar, spa, large gym, yoga studio, kids club, tennis and pickle-ball courts, turtle release, daily activities and more. For peace of mind the Resort is in 1 of 14 safe listed Mexican States (Oaxaca) with no travel advisories.

• Baller
Always wanted to go to Puerto Escodido. Never done it. The combination of surfing & skiing safely in Mexico....off the charts. However, I knew two people who were killed down there. Not skiing. Not tourists. Not Oaxaca. Just amazing native parents robbed and killed by bad guys. Mexico needs to fix itself. Until the Mexican government asks for help from the US like Columbia did in the 80’s, Florida, Costa Rica and Italy thank you.

• Baller

After the adventure, copious amounts of self help, and basically taking over & running the ski lake at Mayan Watersports complex this winter for a couple weeks with @schafer here's my thoughts for a "lake" by the ocean.

If the winds are predominately from the south off the ocean it better have a massive amount of trees and bush to break it up and it better run east/west. Mayan is NOT on the ocean and it has trees all around but runs more or less north/south and that place was not calm, like dam near whitecaps everyday, didn't matter what time you got out there...on a positive note the rough water hid the ridiculous amount of backwash. Also please no offence but if it's run at the speed and effort of how everything else moves in Mexico your customers frustrations will be near epic proportions. Admitting I am a little OCD/hyper so factor that in a bit : )

• Baller
Yes @Golfguy more info is available. Google or YouTube Vivo Resorts. Location is just north of Puerto Escondido. It is NOT a timeshare. To the best of my knowledge 100% of the condos are owner owned. The owners can choose to rent back their units to Vivo to manage rentals, manage their own rentals or not rent at all. Closing on our unit in a few months and would be so pumped if we could get skiing going there. The Lagoon behind the Resort would have been an option for skiing until they declared the area a sanctuary/made it off limits.

• Baller

Sounds like a great idea. Wind is definitely not your friend down there. I work and vacation in Mexico at least once a year and I don't feel there is a huge safety threat as long you smart about it, just as you have to be smart and aware in most major cities in the US.

And no doubt there is a different time clock\sense of urgency down there. It's "Island Time" on the continent.

• Baller

@BraceMaker Mayan complex runs perpendicular to the ocean/shore line and regardless of what southerly direction the wind was coming from it was blowin full steam down the course

All I am saying is that if I was putting efforts into a lake I would run it parallel with the ocean as I assume winds generally are off the ocean

• Baller
@BigGerald3 I have never been to Gordon Rathbuns Ski Paradise in Acapulco but have heard that it is a top notch experience. I think a Water Ski Lake right in the backyard (no driving to get there) of Vivo Resorts would be right up there as far as excellence of experience. Lets hope we all get to be the judge of that in the future. Thank you all for your responses. Your continued comments and thoughts are appreciated. Hopefully there is enough convincing material presented to give this project the go ahead.

• Baller

This would be very interesting to me especially if you could get some good instruction. Warm weather vacations are always a bit of a toss up for us with a wife that doesn't ski and a kid that loves it.

While I love this idea, I will not bring my family to Mexico at this time. The risk outweighs the reward for me.

• Baller
@Dacon62 Now that I know which resort this is, that would be awesome if a ski lake was part of the grounds. I do know that originally they had hoped to ski the lagoon there. Would make me very interested in going there and maybe even buying a condo there! Well managed place and great part of Mexico!

• Supporting Member

@Dacon62 What is the status of the "The Lagoon behind the Resort would have been an option for skiing until they declared the area a sanctuary/made it off limits." Has the "santuary" status been lifted? If so, for how long? Mexican officials that make these decisions require plenty of "funding" when businesses are involved.

That being said, I have surfed Puerto Escondido area for years and love the area. I have driven past the site during all times of the day to find glass conditions. I was hoping the Canadien guy who is involved in the development would make it work so I might get a ski ride or two! Never saw a skier there. The wind is not really a factor there. That is why it is a surf mecca and potentially good for a ski site.

I think expecting families to pack up on school breaks and fly to PE via 2-3 connections is not my idea of a good business plan. Also, the area is far enough from the city that there are not a lot of (if any) amenities (bars and restaurants) around. So a car would be required. But, if your willing to do a little extra stuff you could combine the vacation model with surf lessons, guided surf trips, ski instruction, random ski sets, ski demos, wakeboarding, wake surfing, hiking, culinary outings, bar crawls where transport is provided, it might work. If you only cater to skiers it will never work, IMHO.

I will be very interested in hearing more about the potential of this business venture!! Thanks for posting!!

• Baller

@Shark

As far as I know skiing in the Lagoon is dead. Hope I’m wrong.

That’s why the push for an on site private lake.

As far as flying in. Yes, currently PE Airport may take a connection or so to get to but it has just recently been granted funding to do major upgrades scheduled for completion in 2022. As this area has seen a huge upswing in flights my guess is this upgrade will attract a larger player which will give you more/better options to fly in.

The other option with more direct flights currently is Huatulco. Shuttle service to and from Vivo is available.

Shuttle/taxi services to go into town and back and enjoy all of what Puerto Escondido has to offer are available daily. So you can enjoy the many Ocean front Restaurants, Bars and entertainment. While having a car would offer more convenience it is not a necessity. Because this area offers so much to see and do, as you described, not only on site but in town there is something for everyone.