Permanent Jump Camera

MI3Eventer

• Baller

Hey jumpers and lake owners!

Me and some of the jumpers at my club have been bouncing around the idea of installing a permanent jump camera at our club site. For tournaments we currently bring in one of the members cherry pickers and have a portable camera we put in there. We want to have a more permanent option so that we could get some measurements at practice vs only having a score at tournaments.

Does anyone with some experience have some ideas as to how much this would cost ballpark? Obviously don't need the best setup.

http://www.splasheye.com/awsacvjreplace This a reasonable as it gets and it works well even with a simple laptop.

Put the camera (or 2) in some permanent poles as reasonably high as you can get them. Generally speaking the higher they are the less sensitive the measurements will be (up and down the screen). With SplashEye you can upgrade to an automatic measurement with a scoreboard if you ever want to,

Remember a few things - bugs and moisture are a constant problem with cameras. Use a quality enclosure and cabling. I recommend a PTZ camera with a DVR (most can control the camera). That way you can at least record the jumps and go back and measure later rather than real time measurement. The PTZ cameras can be easily repositioned and focused. You want to ski not mess around with camera's all day. I recommend either permanently burying a quality cable or installing a temp cable for reasonable short periods of time. Word of caution, lightning striking the pole and traveling down the cable can do all sorts of really bad damage including burning down buildings. Had a friends house burn down due to lightning and a coax cable. A permanent solution can be done, just don't scrimp on the important stuff.