Radar Vector Feather vs Plate

Ski_Dad

• Baller

Does anyone know why Radar does different spacing on the Feather Frame boots. The center hole on the Feather Frame puts the boot 1/8" closer to to the tail vs the Aluminum plate version. I actually had to notch my FF boot 1/8" to get the correct front boot location on my Radar ski. Also the hole spacing is different (see picture i put together)

Feather Frame has 3/8" spacing between holes

Aluminum Plate has 1/4" spacing between holes

just something that I've wondered about

a08g8f7514v3.png

• Baller
This is not a surprise, even if front feather frame plate fits any ski, holes are not spaced the same as the aluminum one which is pretty much similar to any aluminum plate. I would use a Mikrojust and would not worry about hole spacing.

• Baller

i guess the thing that puzzles me the most is that the center holes are not the same between Feather Frame and aluminum plate. I could see getting some new feather frames for my Radar ski and just don't know why this is. 1/8" made a big difference on how the ski felt to me.

• Baller

Not sure how much poking around on this site you have done but it’s never recommended to place bindings based on the adjustment holes, you always use a tape measure to set front boot placement.

With that said, sensitivity to binding placement can be ski, skier or binding dependent. I believe there was a discussion on here when the microjust came out talking about binding movement increments. Up to that point I think the smallest steps were 1/8” but it was found 1/16 or less could be beneficial and was something the microjust brought to the table.

Some of my older skis, the binding placement made a huge difference and I was constantly moving them forward or backward one hole. This pre-dated the microjust, I’m sure if it was around then I would have used one on that ski. On my last two skis, while binding placement still matters, it seems less sensitive.

• Baller

thanks and I completely agree about measuring :smile: For example my 2014 Radar specs 31" for the binding location and when I put the FF on it it measured 30-7/8. When I put the Aluminum Plate version it was dead on at 31".

I tried the same thing on 2 other Radar skis and the Aluminum plate is dead on. Seems that they spec the front boot location for the aluminum plate and you can't get to stock with the FF binding.

I'm not a great skier and still working on my technique so I know that is probably more important - just something that I noticed

• Baller
@Ski_Dad my guess just based on being around both plates a fair bit is that they needed the extra 1/8 in. Of material between holes for the extra strength. In my opinion the feather frame is really meant for the low end skis. If running the course at 30+ mph I would recommend the change to the aluminum plates. Also would recommend the Radar screws for your bindings as they have a much larger head to displace the load.

• Baller

@skier2788 - i think you are right about the extra material. I just wish the center hole put you at the same spot. Yeah I'm that 30-32 mph skier :D What's odd is that I had a Vapor graphite ski for a short time and it came with the FF boots. But maybe that is just for price point.

My FF Vector is old so maybe they have adjusted this in the newer boots.

I guess all of this started b/c I picked up a 3rd ski to play around on and it's Radar orange and thought the new Orange FF would look good on it.

I have the 2019 Vector Boa Aluminum on my HO ski and just love that boot