Distance From Center - Episode 38 ( Moomba )

Horton

• Administrators

Correction on Tom Poole. I think he got to the wakes with the handle but did not have it when he passed the exit gates. I think the judges got it right bit reviewing the rule book I can not find the rule to clarify it. Below is only 1/2 of the puzzle.

http://www.iwsf.com/dbheadlines/headlinefiles/World%20rules%202019.pdf

14.07: Scoring Buoys

The intent of the tight line is to ensure the safety of the skier. This means that if the skier can onlycross the line of the buoys with a slack line then he will not get the full point so there is no reason totry that. The end gate case is different because of the spacing and thus if the skier can cross the gate line before the end gate buoy and ski away he will be awarded the full buoy. This specifically means that the skier is permitted to have slack going through the exit gates. If the skier skis away then they may continue. If the skier does not ski away, the turn ends and the skier scores 6 provided they crossed the line of the boat buoys before the end gate with or without a slack line. The skier may exit the gate with slack line.

• Baller_

This seems to be a possible hole in the rules where "completing the pass" is not clearly defined and may be open to interpretation:

A piece you left out of IWSF 14.07 is ".... If the skier does not ski away, the turn ends and the skier scores 6 provided they crossed the line of the boat buoys before the end gate with or without a slack line. The skier may exit the gate with slack line.

A gate is not scored in any manner"

I couldn't find anything in IWSF rules related to opt ups, but from AWSA rules (bold mine):

F. Opting Up.

1. After completing a pass, a skier may advance two or more intervals

either faster and/or shorter.

2. If the skier elects to opt up in this manner then the skier must complete

the selected pass to receive credit for the skipped pass(es). If the pass is

not completed the skier will receive credit for buoys at what would have

been the first immediately sequential skipped speed, or the first immediately

sequential skipped line length, if the speed selected is the same.

So the interpretation part is what constitutes a completed pass? In my judgement a score of 6 constitutes a completed pass, continuation or not. I can see (but disagree with) a judge who interprets the rule as the skier must "continue" to receive to receive credit for passes skipped. I believe the correct score should have been 6@38.

@klindy ?

In this case it didn't matter since the cutoff was 2@39, but if the cutoff had been 5@38, he would have had solid grounds to challenge the score.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

@Bruce_Butterfield @Horton I believe the AWSA rule on the completed pass was add a couple of years ago to address this exact situation after the rules were changed to allow for a score of 6 without riding thru the exit gates with a tight line. I believe it happened to @skidawg. Not sure there is an IWWF equivalent rule. Depending on where a skier lets go of the rope, it does leave open for interpretation the question of a "completed" pass.

• Baller
The WSTIMS scoring program used in the US has a check box for the entrance gates, number of buoys and the exit gates. In this situation, if the majority of the judges give credit for the exit gates, the score is 6@38off, if the majority of the judges do not give credit for the exit gates, the score is 6@35off.

• Baller_

@kelvin it seems WSTIMS is not consistent with IWSF 14.07 ".... If the skier does not ski away, the turn ends and the skier scores 6 provided they crossed the line of the boat buoys before the end gate with or without a slack line. The skier may exit the gate with slack line.

A gate is not scored in any manner"

AWSA rules are silent on the exit gates and only state "the skier must complete the selected pass to receive credit for the skipped pass(es)"

So it comes back to the interpretation of "completed pass". This is probably something the rules committee should take on to ensure WSTIMS is consistent with the intent and wording of the rules. Should be a lively discussion.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding