nautique

mtnskiskate

Our 02 196 (closed bow) got blasted by a tree during a recent storm. Insurance is going to total it. We are predominantly course skiers (28 to 35 at 34mph). Would a sport nautique be way different than the closed bow ski? Probably can't afford a 200 so another 196 is my thought.

Thanks.

• Baller

An affordable used open bow that’s still killer in the course would be 03-06 RLXi, I’d take that over a Sport/206 though the quality is substantially lower than what you’re used to with a Nautique. Otherwise yeah. Another similar 196 would be in order. Nautique didn’t make a primary-course-boat-worthy open bow offering until the 200 which they knocked it out of the park with IMO.

I seem to recall that when the 206 came out some of the promo guys got them that year because they were supposed to be so good- they were not happy when they actually got them.

• Baller
I previously owned a 2000 Air Nautique, which I am sure you are aware is the same hull as the Sport Nautique. Went from that to a 2007 Ski Nautique 196 and immediately noticed the wake at slalom speeds 28-34 was quite a bit smaller and softer on the 196. So, to answer your question, the 196 is much different wake-wise than the Sport - a lot more friendly. If slalom is your primary use for the boat, I would definitely recommend staying with a 196.