How will COVID-19 impact your ski life?

Horton

• Baller

Went out to ski yesterday morning and was greeted on my Patio by a Huge Water Moccasin who did not believe in Social Distancing. Pointed out his indiscretion via 357.

Not a good time to be visiting an ER for Venom and not Virus !!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

@Ed_Johnson That poor guy, he just wanted you to pet him.

How about some pictures or video next time. Us guys up north don't get to see stuff like that. It's also a reminder on why we live up here. :smile:

• Baller

@DaveD....Yea, this is the time of year they start coming out. Usually they are down by the water and will run from you, so it's not as bad as you might think. This Guy decided to come into our screened in Patio, a long way from the Dock. My Wife does Rescue Work and has Rescue Dogs here all the time. If I had not educated him in proper Social Distancing, she would have been scared to let any of the Dogs out again.

• Baller_

Our boating ban appears to be real, unless the upcoming clarification fixes that. However, they admonished the golfers yesterday, so I wouldn't expect a big change.

s6hj5czpp1z8.jpg

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@MISkier looks like the MSP was confused as DNR made a correction and they will update the Coronavirus FAQ page for Michigan. Boating (and skiing I assume) is allowed as long as you follow the social distance guidelines. Works for me, we never have any guest out with us anyway.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/04/03/boating-banned-under-michigan-stay-place-order/2939322001/

• Baller_

@Kimbymon and @Wayne,

I think we still have a problem. See this portion of the clarification:

"Additionally, in accordance with section 2 of the order, persons not part of a single household may not boat together."

Nobody in my house is a boat driver.

Also, I saw the other day that there are two different penalties for violating the order and both can be applied. One is $500 and a not a criminal charge. The other is $1000 and carries more criminal weight. I'm not sure how much jail time goes with each.

Flint has a curfew already and the word is that Detroit is considering one.

The Rubenesque young lady is warming up her vocal cords on our ski season. She's on in 5.

• Baller

@MISkier agreed the Michigan EO doesn’t work for everyone. My family stays pretty isolated normally since my son has Spinal Muscular Atrophy (it’s in the ALS family). We take precautions every flu season, this is just extending the period we practice our flu season regiment.

Otherwise I’d be doing #6 from the list @Wish provided. Wouldn’t be the first time I’ve done it either. Lol.

• Baller
I can not ski yet so I work on boat hope to get 2 bbl carb replaced with 4 bbl, install O2 sensor in exhaust with gauge, and install Perfect Pass bought but not received yet. when I can get out will buy some new teck and fix up swim platform.

• Baller

Well after Michigan EO 2020-42 and the updated FAQs as of 4/10, motorized boat activities are not included under outdoor activities until the end of April. Extracted from the link.

“ Physical outdoor activity like kayaking, canoeing, and sailing is permitted under the order, but using a motorboat, a jet ski, or other similar watercraft is not. Any outdoor activity permitted under the order, including boating, must be done in a manner consistent with social distancing, and individuals should use only their own equipment to prevent the transmission of the virus through the touching of shared surfaces”.

https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98178_98455-525278--,00.html

• Baller

@MISkier I kind of saw this coming. I’m sure what I’ve seen on my lake isn’t isolated incidents. Two or 3 large gatherings at houses and a handful of pontoons with large groups. I’m sure they are not all from the same household.

I could see a club being able to have just a driver in the boat and keep skiers in the water, on the swim platform or separation at the starting dock and be within the social distancing guidelines.

I’m guessing the concern for emergency situations and exposing first responders was part of the motivation but then why allow kayaking, canoeing and sailing? I’m sure the petition I saw (but did not sign) to open boat storage places to allow people to access to their boats didn’t help the situation. I feel like those that could operate under the restrictions unfortunately are being lumped in with the idiots that couldn’t.

I guess it’s only three weeks and it got cold again but it would have been nice to get some early season skiing in this year.

• Baller

On the Michigan updated regulations, once again, few spoiling it for the many I'm afraid. This is why we can't have nice things.

I'm fortunate I have skied every month for 24 months straight, but it's looking like the month of April 2020 might be a complete drought for me. Last skied March 5th before the "no boating with anyone not in your household" rules (self-imposed... well... wife-imposed) went into effect.

I have been getting some decent use out of my boat in the garage though. The platform serves as a great disinfecting/airing out station for packages before they're brought into the house, and I've taken several video calls from the observer seat with the laptop sitting on the motor box.

• Baller_

An interesting aspect of the Michigan edict is a rationale given for no motorized boating, minimizing the impact of virus transfer when filling the tank at the gas station.

Interestingly, motorcycles are not restricted and there were numerous cycles running around on Easter Sunday. The congregation aspect does make sense. Inconsistency & loopholes appear to be key to the negative feedback this ruling is getting.

Guess that vote needs to change. :/

• Baller
as my buddy said, "man, this makes no sense. I could pull up to the dock with you in the water. Pull you around the lake. Make fun of your pass and drop you off with zero contact". Nice job Gov. Whitmer. (MI)

Social distancing is real or some of my ski buddies have just decided this is a great excuse to not have me over lol!!!:)

We actually (Me my daughter and my Wife) went to our old ski site on a public lake after 5 years of not using it and had an absolute blast!! More to come.

• Baller

I think that if I do not get to ski this year, it will be the end of my water skiing, every year gets harder and it always take some time to get into the swing of it after the winter month's, as I get older every year gets harder, I do my best to keep fit in the gym, but nothing replaces water skiing, ski fitness is very different and it takes a while every year to get it back.

All ski clubs and sites are closed due to the virus thing, I do not know how quickly they will open up, everybody is very wary, seeing that the ski population in the UK is not full of young people, middle aged or generally higher.

It's looking like we might get three month's if we are lucky, which is not enough.

But on the other hand, I am still alive.

• Baller_

I’m diligently following the 25 rules. It was on the internet so it must be true.

1. Basically, you can't leave the house for any reason, but if you have to, then you can.

2. Masks are useless, but maybe you have to wear one, it can save you, it is useless, but maybe it is mandatory as well.

3. Stores are closed, except those that are open.

4. You should not go to hospitals unless you have to go there. Same applies to doctors, you should only go there in case of emergency, provided you are not too sick.

5. This virus is deadly but still not too scary, except that sometimes it actually leads to a global disaster.

6. Gloves won't help, but they can still help.

7. Everyone needs to stay HOME, but it's important to GO OUT and support local businesses.

8. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarket, but there are many things missing when you go there in the evening, but not in the morning. Sometimes.

9. The virus has no effect on children except those it affects.

10. Animals are not affected, but there is still a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested, plus a few tigers here and there…

11. You will have many symptoms when you are sick, but you can also get sick without symptoms, have symptoms without being sick, or be contagious without having symptoms. Oh, my..

12. In order not to get sick, you have to eat well and exercise, but eat whatever you have on hand and it's better not to go out, well, but no…

13. It's better to get some fresh air, but you get looked at very wrong when you get some fresh air, and most importantly, you don't go to parks or walk. But don’t sit down, except that you can do that now if you are old, but not for too long or if you are pregnant (but not too old).

14. You can't go to retirement homes, but you have to take care of the elderly and bring food and medication.

15. If you are sick, you can't go out, but you can go to the pharmacy.

16. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house, which may have been prepared by people who didn't wear masks or gloves. But you have to have your groceries decontaminated outside for 3 hours. Pizza too?

17. Every disturbing article or disturbing interview starts with "I don't want to trigger panic, but…"

18. You can't see your older mother or grandmother, but you can take a taxi and meet an older taxi driver.

19. You can walk around with a friend but not with your family if they don't live under the same roof.

20. You are safe if you maintain the appropriate social distance, but you can’t go out with friends or strangers at the safe social distance.

21. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours, no, four, no, six, no, we didn't say hours, maybe days? But it takes a damp environment. Oh no, not necessarily.

22. The virus stays in the air - well no, or yes, maybe, especially in a closed room, in one hour a sick person can infect ten, so if it falls, all our children were already infected at school before it was closed. But remember, if you stay at the recommended social distance, however in certain circumstances you should maintain a greater distance, which, studies show, the virus can travel further, maybe.

23. We count the number of deaths but we don't know how many people are infected as we have only tested so far those who were "almost dead" to find out if that's what they will die of…

24. We have no treatment, except that there may be one that apparently is not dangerous unless you take too much (which is the case with all medications).

25. We should stay locked up until the virus disappears, but it will only disappear if we achieve collective immunity, so when it circulates… but we must no longer be locked up for that?

• Baller

We just had 2 weeks of daily ski able weather. Today is forecast 20+C.

Lake has been glass for large portions of each day.

I have been kicked out of work for the last 16 days to burn up banked days and remaining holidays but the launches have been shut down!!!

To borrow a bit from a famous Beatles song..........my ski gently weeps. ( as do I )

• Baller

@Wish Love your list, it did make me chuckle, But just want to point out number 25, collective or herd immunity is questionable, my daughter is in California in the Biotech industry, she has been doing some stuff with Covid-19 they have found antibodies in people that have recovered but but not the sort of amount you would like to see, they are still waiting to see if the antibodies are sustainable or whether they deplete.

It maybe that nobody is safe until they have either a Vaccine or Treatment that is proven to be successful.

The drug they are looking to develop, maybe similar to the one used for Ebola, Scary stuff indeed.

This is not going to go away any time soon there maybe a second wave that could be worse than the first,

All of those people rushing down to the Beaches in Florida are playing Russian Roulette with their lives.

Stay Safe, Stay Healthy, Live Long.

• Baller
I was originally unsure how we would be affected but now they have closed all the ramps near where our course is so I now sure I’ll be skiing less. Couple ramps are open on the lower part of the river but there is the small problem of getting up the water falls. Super frustrating :(

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller
Well as of April 24th we can use motorized watercraft in Michigan again (social distancing rules still apply). Within 30 minutes of our latest executive order being released I saw a guy fishing alone off a boat and 2 jetskis (1 person per ski).

• Baller_

Back on the water today. Not great skiing, but will be good to get the soreness out of the way.

Normally, we would do a couple weeks of free skiing on a big public lake before going to the course, but no option for that this year. Didn’t want to try the public lake now that boating has finally been allowed. I figured the lake would be overrun with people anxious to get out of the house. Ordinarily, we’d have the lake basically to ourselves.

• Baller
For all my skiing I depend on my friends with a boat. We may want to wish this virus didn't change anything in regards to our skiing routines. Reality is that it will be with us for a long time and it will impact the skiing season of many people - my group included.