Pulling boat with Subaru

cacman

• Baller

I have a 2017 Outback 4 cylinder that I use to pull a 16' Boston Whaler - 2,000# total weight................also use it to pull a 900# utility trailer. The car, even with the 4 cyl., handles the Whaler no problem. Pull it back and forth from NY to Michigan all the time.

Did put a 2,000# pallet of wood pellets on the utility trailer once and the car really struggled to handle the 3,000#. Would think the 6 cylinder Outback might handle it. Believe they are rated for 2,500#.

I found acceleration to highway speeds was biggest issue with towing with the 4 cyl. engine. Maintaining speed is not a problem.

Should also mention that I never tow in super hot weather. Travel at night in the summer.

Didn't like the sound and feel of the transmission the one time it did.

I know I'm pushing the limit with my car.....so I change the fluids before the recommended mileages.

Hope that helps.

• Baller

going a mile down the country road, no problem.

Going 65 down the highway, don't like it. To @mmskiboat point above, i don't think it will hold up well enough when you have to brake quickly.

We don't want to see you on the "this is why i love the internet" thread. :)

• Baller

I would say, it depends.

Does the trailer have surge brakes?

What ski boat? Older model or one of the heavy modern ones?

How far of a trip (what usage) are we talking?

Just a couple Miles to the lake or frequently long hauls?

I towed my Malibu Response from Jacksonville to Orlando with a 2WD Ford Edge when we had it shipped over here. Not an issue at all. Wasn’t fun, especially with the front wheel drive, but totally safe with the boat trailer having surge brakes.

I might have a different mindset here, because I grew up and lived the first 45 Years of my life in Germany, Pick-up’s are basically non existent in Europe, so towing with “regular” cars, SUV’s and even compacts is common practice over there.

Accidents rarely occur but that might be a factor of better driving education as well. :D

However - every trailer in Germany that exceeds ~800 pounds in weight needs to be equipped with surge brakes.

Take a look at this thread for a couple examples (and giggles).

https://www.boote-forum.de/showthread.php?t=142029

Living in the US for a while now, I have to admit it looks a bit goofy when a compact tows a boat, but that’s the way the old world has done it since the beginning and is still doing so.

• Baller

Yes, surge brakes, distance , total weight all terribly important to the discussion

are we talking CC mustang here?

But, consider an Edge is more competent and larger brakes vs an outback , up to 3500# vs 2700#

Just because i have witnessed a guy tow a 32' Baja twin bravo on a triaxle 200 miles with a Pontiac 6000..

doesn't mean I should. just sayin. (yeah it was quite the spectacle you can imagine)

• Baller

I've towed 6000lb + with my Ford Ranger (UK) (3.2l oil burner) which is still 1500lb less than the towing limit, but as @DavidN mentioned, every trailer over 750kg (1650lb) in the UK must have overrun brakes and a towing speed limit of 60mph on the motorway and 50 on "normal" roads.

I'd say, if it has brakes, fill your boots and tow up to the weight limit

• Baller

I have towed 14,000lb trailers coast to coast and many other large things. I don't mind towing big or weird things.

I WILL NOT tow my 98 CC with my 2018 Outback. My CC is about 2,300lbs dry add another 1,000lbs for trailer. Add fuel, oil, gear, etc. and you will likely be close to 4,000lbs or more. I believe my Outback is rated to about 2,500lbs.

• Baller
@cacman if all you're doing is launching and not driving far, i'd say you might be OK, as long as you know what you're doing. I used to tow my '89 Prostar with a RWD Toyota Hilux, 2.2 liter engine, rear drum brakes I think. I knew someone who towed theirs with a Chevy Caprice I think. We'd use the boat to help power the truck out on slippery launches. But at any moderate towing speed, the boat will start pushing the vehicle around, so you really need to be extra cautious. I was always a little nervous towing with that truck, was able to breathe a little easier when I upgraded the tow vehicle.

• Baller
I towed our Glastron GT150 with 115 Evinrude with a 1980 Subaru GL wagon. Boat motor and trailer weighed approx 1,200 lbs. No problems. We had someone test drive our ‘92 MC PS190, then make an offer to buy it, then say he was going to tow it home, from CT to Maine behind his mid 2000’s Subaru Outback. I cautioned against that and offered to meet him in central Massachusetts when he could borrow a truck a few days later. Then he mentioned something about paying me with a few money orders and I said let’s play it safe. Borrow a truck and get cash or a bank check and we’ll set up a day to meet part way up in Massachusetts. He called me a few days later and said I hurt his feelings and was no longer interested because I didn’t let him tow it with the Outback and pay with money orders. For that reason I am out...

• Baller

@chrislandy its braking and a few other things, many of the UK capacities include the fact that pulling campers/trailers with small cars has been in common use for long enough that they look at sort of a "true" maximum when properly equipped. This includes things like brake controllers, anti-sway, weight distribution, and zero play hitches.

In the US we've been getting away with big trucks and no weight - but they just don't have those trucks in the UK in the numbers we have.

• Baller
My friend tows a 2014 Prostar with a Subaru Forester. 1/2 mile to the boat ramp twice a year...Totally OK. When he bought it he brought it back to MA from PA with the same car. Made it, but I was quite concerned the whole time. I would not do it.

• Baller

My Datsun roadster 2000 was regularly drafted to launch my friend's old Nautique because his Econoline van didn't have enough traction. The manual transmission helped even if the clutch smelled a bit. We didn't tow it far with the little sports car but it worked.

We took delivery of a Prostar 197 behind a F150 and a crappy trailer. The truck was plenty adequate but the trailer was wrong. At 53 mph the trailer would start to wag. Any slower and we'd be hit from behind. We drove out to the lake with speed tolerances tighter than a slalom pull. Actually made my son drive a leg - he had just gotten his learners permit and he learned a lot from that experience. A good trailer is important regardless of your tow vehicle.

I've towed too many overloaded trailers with too small a vehicle too many times. Always got away with it but also I was always very careful and aware. Realize that you are doing something quite dangerous and minimize those risks.

I wouldn't recommend it, but I'd occasionally tow with the Subaru.

Eric

• Baller
@cacman - if you are looking at staying on private land and a typical private site ramp you would probably be fine. I wouldn't drive down the highway, or even a county road though. I've moved boats around on dirt with a few guys, at best we were one horsepower.

• Baller

I'm with @Jetsetr If you're going to be out on the highway at highway speeds, theres a lot more that comes into play than just the towing capacity and the braking. The heavier the tow vehicle is compared to what you're towing the better. Wheel base and just overall weight will keep you in control in some sort of avoidance, or too aggressive lane change, or drifting off the shoulder, etc.

Of course short distance, slow speed trailering is different.

• Baller
If you are only putting in and taking out, it is probably ok but you probably need to move the boat back a bit to unload the tongue. The hitch attachment isn't designed for that kind of tongue weight. Anything down the road and you need more vehicle to be even close to safe. I have an Outback and have towed utility trailers. There's no way I would go over 2,500 lbs with that thing, the suspension and brakes wouldn't hold up.

• Baller

@BraceMaker very true, we do get quite anal about it, hitch scales, balance etc, there is a nose weight limit (circa 200lb) new drivers these days also need to pass a towing test to pull anything over 1500lb and very strict speed limits when towing.

• Baller

If you have your heart set on a Subaru and your just launching in the Spring and retrieving at the ramp in Fall, the specs on the 2020 Onyx XT edition outback gets you to a 3500# tow capacity.

This way with most ski boats (not the latest Nautique 200) you at least street legal with a good trailer w/brakes.

That said, I like other posters on this thread would not want to tow at the limit for safety reasons, and never over!

Also - if you tow frequently it will absolutely kick the sh!@*t out of it given its not designed for heavy usage in this manner.

Any other vehicle choices you are considering?

• Baller
My 2016 Subaru Outback 2.5 is rated for 2,700 pound towing capacity. I would never tow anything with it. Seriously not worth the risk to life and limb. A great vehicle for it’s designed use, I routinely go through deep snow every winter and have never doubted its ability in Colorado where I spend my winters.

• Baller
I have one Subaru and really happy with it. I don't want a truck unless its an extra vehicle, and i don't want a big SUV for the car i mostly drive back and forth to work. Originally thought if I upgraded to 6 cylinder I would be ok BUT

• Baller

@cacman - yeah it’s a real dilemma for many people. Instead of looking for a new rig, look for a new ski buddy to add to your regular crew that has a truck!

My friend has a Toyota Highlander (5000# tow rating) and it is still unnerving on the streets towing his new pro star - hence we use my Tundra for his spring launch and fall retrieve...

• Baller
I tow my 1994 Ski Nautique with a 2018 Chevrolet Equinox. I have the 2.0 T 4 cylinder with a towing package which will tow 3500 lbs. Most of the time it is a 3 mile round trip(usually once per year) to the launch ramp and back, and an occasional trip to the marina for service which is a 60 mile round trip. For those short distances it is fine. If I towed on a regular basis I would have something bigger like a Ford Ranger, or F150.

• Baller

GMC FWD 2500, 4Dr crew cab, Duramax, Allison, 4 wheel disk brakes, tow package.

Quit screwing around with underpowered, too light, too short and no real brakes before you kill someone.

You will drop 100K on a boat and tow it with a clown car: WTF!

Pull up some YouTube videos of towed trailer accidents. 95% of those accidents the tow vehicle is just along for the ride, and it usually doesn’t end well...

• Baller

You don't need a 2500/F250 for a 4000 pound boat. That's the definition of overkill. I've seen accidents involving a 3500 and a boat where the driver was clearly over-confident. Towing 4000 pounds, a more capable SUV or 1500/F150 is plenty of vehicle.

I'm not a fan of how the Subaru Ascent and Kia Telluride are marketed for towing. It's disingenuous. They say 5000 pounds but there are caveats about tongue weight (real light for the Telluride) and hill towing (Ascent). Notice that Ascent video is all on flat lots. Those are equal to towing with a minivan (and not the old body-on-frame ones).

• Baller_

Any one of these three will handle it.

I sold the green one a couple of years ago for $1750 at 276,000 miles and I was still towing with it then. That era (1996) of Chevy Tahoe/Suburban/K1500 were really solid with the bulletproof 350 engine. The red one (2001) has about 217,000 miles and I'll probably sell that one in a year or two. Still tows great and it will probably sell around $2500. My point is that you could pick up a cheap tow vehicle that would be better suited for the job and possibly more safe.

z3zlfqgg8gh6.jpg

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Be careful if trying to balance a trailer to get tongue weight down, you need to maintain about 10-15% on the tongue or handling gets squirrely. So a 3000 lb boat/trailer needs to have at least 300 lbs tongue weight. Remember too that a new prostar or nautique dry weight is around 3000 lbs, so add gas equipment AND the weight of the trailer. So you could end up pushing 400 lbs tongue weight.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of a Subi for towing and my 1st post was to not recommend it. But if you are going to do it anyways the Ascent is MUCH better than a base Subi. The vehicle won a safety award and comes well equipped. Not a huge fan of the CVT trans but to each his own.

• Baller

@vtmecheng - going to move your axle back before you hit the highway?

Low tongue weight (Low - T?) can also cause big issues on a wet launch ramp where as you back down the ramp and apply the brakes the weight shift of the boat on a single axle tends to lift up the tongue which lifts up your rear axle which in turn reduces your traction phenomenally.

• Baller

@BraceMaker that's a good point on the ramp. As for moving the axel when you need road towing, some people never tow on the road. They either do all service themselves, have someone come to them, or can float to the service dealer. My dad hasn't used his trailer at all for 15 years.

@storm34 isn't that boat lighter than most newer models?

• Baller

By about a ton!

You can do anything once....

I agree if your going a few miles below 35 you could probably do it with no issues...

You start dragging a 3500-4500 pound boat at highway speeds you better have enough vehicle.

My thought is if you want to be a Darwin Award winner on your own that’s fine with me, problem is on a highway there are often innocents involved that happen to be at the wrong place when you’re getting your award. Seen it WAAAAAAY too many times working the Fire Dept.

I have towed big trailers (until last summer when I built my new hauler to get away from pulling trailers) with big trucks (Kenworth T-600) all over the country and you WOULD NOT BELIEVE some of the things I have seen people pull trailers with.