R-style with cuff

aupatking

• Baller

Anyone ever tried a rear Reflex shell with the cuff in place, but the boot hard-mounted like an R-Style?

I removed the upper (ankle) strap from the cuff, but before I take an angle grinder to it, I wondered about the necessity to remove it.

I question certain release angles, I suppose, but I’m just wondering about others opinions

0czd4u81swrx.jpeg

• Baller
I question some release angles too, it will work same as without it in an OTF, that’s what I believe. I don’t think you need the extra support of the cuff, but I was thinking that If someone wants the feel of a full boot he can use a r-style shell with a full liner and a cuff strapped around it. So in a release case, cuff stays with the leg. I prefer classic D3 style RTP though.

• Baller
The buckles are not right for release. You will notice that the buckles on a R-Style are closer together and more on the toes and balls of your feet. That upper buckle may make it hard (injury causing) to release at all.

• Baller
I would wonder if you could put an velcro elastic across the front of the cuff and cut the rear completely away. The strap could keep it from catching water while giving some side to side stability and the heel could come up and out still.

• Baller

@Cfootin actually the added side support can interfere with edge control for a lot of skiers.

@mbabiash leaving the upper buckle that far up above your arch can restrict release and strain ligaments.

@aupatking i am using a single buckle just below the height of my arch. My rear half boot is cut low around my ankle, you don’t need the rear cuff. As mentioned above use the full height liner with a Velcro strap to keep the feel of double boots if you want. My rear liner is cut down to the top of the half boot.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

@jimski my daughter was using a loose fitting double wrap rubber rear boot in an out the front fall at last years national and broke her foot. After trying several different rear style boots, including the Radar HRT which she liked a lot but it did not fit her small foot, we are testing a new design for a rear rubber boot that will release easier.

The more experienced and proficient skier you are will allow you to get away with using a standard wrap rubber rear boot, until that one fall...

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller
I just picked up the extra boot and am not RFF. Just thought before I hack it to bits I’d ask what others have done/seen. It’s hitting the sawzall this evening. Thanks @mmosley899. I remembered you told me something about which buckle and where, but couldn’t remember. Should make a nice backup setup.

• Baller

@aupatking

My buddy is using it and is loving the c75. I haven’t even tried it because I’m loving my Goode 9970cc so much. I’ve ridden a lot of skis I. The last 3 years and I’ve never felt this good on a ski.

Sorry. Off topic. Carry on.

• Baller
FYI the pic on the website is not how they are making them now. Bundle buckle stays where it is and the liner is now a finished low liner. And it’s not cut down as low. It really is a nice product. I’ve had the reflex r style and this one is better. Foot comes out perfectly.