Boat destroyed

Vl782

Hey everyone, my parents pull barn which houses my boat in the winter burned down last week. I had an 02 moomba mobius DD. It wasnt a perfect boat but we could do all 3 sports behind it and it was paid off :) Anyway I am a pretty aggressive open water skier (no access to a course) and I have gotten into skiing more again over the years and wakeboard way less; however we do enjoy surfing as well. We are a young family and my kids are just starting to get into boating/watersports. I have read up on the malibu VTX and it seems like that could be an option but I have never skied behind a v drive. Not that I want to pay this but does anyone really know if the 2020 is better than the 2015 in regards to skiing? Any other suggestions out there. Have a great Easter!

• Baller
Might be a bit before there's enough of the 2020s out there to say if it's "better" than the '08-15s. Malibu does claim to have spent a ton of time improving the 2020 over the '16-19. The '15 and earlier ones on the diamond hull were surprisingly good ski boats at speeds of 30 and higher.

• Baller

@oldjeep may have skied both generation VTXs. See if mentioning him gets him into the thread.

I test skied a 2012 VTX when we were thinking about changing things up. If you go after one make sure it has the diamond hull and not the wake hull. There is a HUGE NEGATIVE IMPACT to the slalom wake quality with the wake hull.

In general the VTX would fit your open water use quite well, the wake does start to get big below 32 MPH, above that it’s good enough for some non-competitive course work. They throw a reasonable surf wake and will do wakeboard duty well.

If you can find one the Ski Nautique Sport 200 v-drive skied as well if not a tad better than the VTX. It felt smaller inside and didn’t throw quite as good of a wake for surf and wakeboarding.

Also the “sister” to the VTX is the Malibu Sunscape 20 LSV. Basically its a VTX without a tower, ballast or the graphics.

• Baller

If the one @6balls posted has the diamond hull (hard to tell with gates in the way but presumably does since it was ordered with the center pylon), that'd be a good option.

@ahopkinsTXi has a 2020 and has posted a few photos on themalibucrew. Here's a photo of the 30MPH wake (not yet balanced). That looks pretty nice for a V drive.

DD748803-D5AF-4B56-A1E3-E83DBACBF44F.jpe

• Baller
It is my current boat, I think it skis the same as my inlaws 04 LXI (15 off at 32MPH) and has a much better wake at that speed/line length than a 2012 prostar. Its a family boat that allows us to load up the entire crew for a day on the water.

• Baller
@Vl782 if you are interested I have a buddy that is going to list his 2004 moomba outback as soon as the covid stuff is under control. It only has like 200 hours on it. The big down side is it is carb not fuel Injected. Does have a wakeboard version of PP and tower

• Baller

@Vl782 I've got a 2001 Malibu LX open bow that I recently put on ski it again. It is fuel injected (340 hp Monsoon) and has perfect pass stargazer with Z box. Cant figure out how to link the actual Ski It Again page but here is the listing number. SIA54462

dpaoulmw5yzm.jpg

• Baller

@VI782 - So sad to hear about your boat. It brings back a lot of bad memories, I too lost my boat of 16 years to a winter storage fire. It was an 88 Ski Nautique. Family grew up in that boat. Kids were 10 and 12 when it burned. I ended up with an open bow, 2009 SN 206 and could not be happier. Great power, seating and wake, and has the open bow which is a must with the family. Check out one of them, probably not the best wake-sport boat though.

28adt08l2lfh.jpg

rkgxtw0mzqnw.jpg