Kids starter trick skis

jercrane

• Baller

My daughter told me she wants to learn to trick this summer. Gear an approach questions for y'all

I am a terrible trick skier but I like goofing around on it. I have a 43" Graviton. My daughter is pretty tiny for her age. Probably around 95 lbs. She got into 27mph last year in the course so she's getting along pretty well and advancing fast.

Should I start her off on two or go straight to one. She has really good balance as a past gymnast. Maybe its better to start on 2 though???

What size? I'm assuming my 43" graviton is going to be too big for her even if I did figure out the binding.

• Baller_

Actually at 95 lbs the 43 will work fine to get started and actually be easier. Absolutely go straight to 1 ski. If you have a boom, that helps, but not required. You will want to get a Reflex.

More trick tips here:

https://www.ballofspray.com/home-page/tech/2598-the-future-of-our-sport-tips-to-addict-the-next-generation

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

I started my kids on a wakeboard with no fins. It taught them the basics of turning, handle control and balance. Once they have mastered the basic surface turns, transition to a trick ski.

A 43" ski is fine to start with. Swap out bindings from the inserts and you can share the ski. Note that you might need to swap out rear toes as well but with rear plates that's easy. Older skis might need inserts added for the rear foot. The college kids swap bindings all the time. Keep the anti seize in those inserts!

One caveat, if your Graviton is the older model, it is a difficult ski for beginners. The early skis tend to catch edges a lot more than a D3 or Quantum. An upgrade is worth it. The new Radar trick ski is fantastic for learning so if you have that one, you are set!

Set the speed and rope length for her. On your 43", try 15mph. The wake should be about 3 ski lengths wide when the rope is the right length (do a sideslide in the middle and have a ski length to the wake on both sides). She should fall as often by catching edges as by slipping out. Speed up for too many edge catchers, slow down if she slips out more.

Eric

• Baller

@eleeski My Graviton is 2019 model. Picked it up last year on your guidance in fact! Sounds like that should be good for her. I'm sure she is going to pass my pathetic tricking ability by end of this summer.

Good teaching/driving tips. Thanks!