Slalom bindings for kids

LK_skier

• Baller
Hi all, looking for some advice on younger kids bindings - 8-9 yrs old. Any suggestions based on experience? FYI my son is getting into 30mph now (kids improve so quick!) Been looking at Wiley or Reflex, but I think for now I'm preferring a rubber boot - his foot is going to grow so fast.

• Baller

@Chef23 thanks. Theres a few things to weigh up for me - 1 unfortunately has to be cost, then the other is safety. I still cringe at reflex's given how many skiers I have seen break ankles etc using one - plus pre-releases...

. I personally use a MOB and love it so if I went the hardshell I think I would go that over reflex. The main issue with rubber binding is that they are so big on him - they come up his leg/shin a long way and he isn't big enough to flex his ankles forward. If I got a Wiley could I cut it down do you think? I tried to swap his boot over and it ended in tears so he back on his little obrien which for now seems ok.

• Members

My girls grew up in double Wiley boots. For me, it seemed the best combination of safety, performance, and price. They did fit somewhat awkwardly for a while for sure. Like @Rednucleus said, a phone call may really help.

Another option to consider is the Radar Pulse boot. It goes down to size 5. My oldest is in them now and she likes the added comfort. They strike me as a little bulky though so it's possible they would stick out wider than the ski on a 63" stick - not sure though.

• Baller_

From my experience, the Reflex release is much more consistent and safer than a rubber binding. With a hard fall and violent release from a rubber binding, there will be alot of stress on the ankle and kid's ankles are easy to tweak. The reflex protects the ankle much better.

Its much easier to get a good fit on a growing kid's foot in a hardshell vs a rubber boot.

You also gain commonality with same boot on his trick. Chef was right, if you haven't gotten him on a trick ski, you should.

I've never seen or know about anyone who broke an ankle in a Reflex. I'm sure there are some, but its certainly not common in my experience.

The release tension chart has been refined over the years and is pretty solid. The pre-releases that were common when the system first came out are gone and the only pre-releases are when something is wrong with the setup. You should test the release on the dock and be sure he comes out easily.

My $0.02

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

My son started in the size 4 Reflex and never had any issue with it releasing. He wasn’t very small but one of our skiing partners had his daughters in them when they were young and they were much smaller than my son and never had an issue either.

Cost is definitely an issue and it is pricey to get into a system. After that we tended to get at least 2 years if not more out of a boot then we could just get a bigger boot and not have to replace the rest of the platform.

• Baller
@Bruce_Butterfield i have lots of customers who have broken their ankles using reflex bindings. The are particularly problematic for young skies who are not able to control their falls as they do not release in a twisting or sideways fall. My kids grew up using the MOB style release for all three events and have never had injuries from their bindings. And now my 5yo grandson is using the MOB release on his trick ski. @LK_skier you only have to change the boot as his foot grows, the release stays the same. I have boots from size 2-15 available.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

My two daughters started with Reflex boots when they were 5. I agree with @Bruce_Butterfield, much easier to have a good fit and a consistent release in a kid. They started tricking way before slaloming, which led them to a much better position and a fast progression in slalom.

ech9dmeaojt5.jpeg