hardshell/releasable or carbitex

mcsd1992

• Baller

so i've been running a profile with an RTP on an 18 lithium vapor for some time right now but i'm feeling like i want something a little more stable. the profile is a good boot but not sure where to go next. i like the feeling of the rubber but have never tried a hardshell. because of this i'm considering either something like the edge or staying with rubber and going with a carbitex.

also, yes, i'm aware of the safety part of it that since i'm running an RTP i should probably be on a releasable but lately (of course thanks to the stories on here) i've been running my laces looser. usually make sure that i can pull my heel up and down in the case of an OTF fall.

i also don't want to make a 5-600 dollar mistake but yes i know that i will never know if i don't try one..but want to get some feedback here first.

• Baller

I believe you can demo the HO hardshell, not sure on price, but it is listed on their Demo page. You could also check out Ski-It-Again, that is where I picked up my first trick Reflex setup.

Be sure to test the release before you ski it. There are videos of a dock test. I like to sit on the dock with my ski in the water and give the tip of the ski a quick and hard tug to test the release. I make a point to do this every few sets as well to make sure things are still functioning properly.

When my last binding setup failed catastrophically going across the wake (boot separated from plate) I was in a bind and bought my Reflex. For me it was a very large purchase, I was terrified about making a mistake. It took me a few rides to get comfortable and get the binding placement figured out. A few years later I am thrilled with it.

• Baller

@BCM do you know if there’s any difference in the edge vs HO plates for a radar ski vs HO. I know they are both the same but curious to know if the HO version is specific to their skis.

I’m also curious (bringing up an old and talked about topic I’m sure) of any advantages/disadvantages to the edge vs reflex and vice versa. I know the edge is molded but I’m looking more for how each reacts and if one suits different skiing styles better

• Baller

The front plates are all basically the same/universal these days. D3 makes a different rear plate but most of today’s skis accept both reasonably well.

As for how they react, it’s really just personal preference as to how they feel on your foot. All seem to be really good products

• Baller

@APB while a majority are saying hard shell what is your reasoning behind a carbitex or is it just more your preference

@aupatking i have heard the reflex bar wears down the shell quicker than the edge

• Baller

I believe the release mechanism for the HO, Edge, Reflex, and Goode-G-Flex are all pretty much the same. I have a Reflex BlackCuff on my trick and a SuperShell on my slalom. I really like the heal cup of the SuperShell setup, the nylon screws on the BlackCuff drive me nuts. Also, those two boots fit very different. I find the Supershell fits my foot very well while the BlackCuff does not.

Regarding wear and tear, this will be my 4th (maybe 3rd, but I think 4th) season on my SuperShell, skiing about 6-8 sets a week for 6-7 months and 2-3 sets a week for the remainder of the year. My boot does show some wear but not enough to change how it functions.

• Baller

@Orlando76

Hi Todd,

Sorry if you tried to setup a demo last year and didn’t get through. I don’t see any record of your inquiry. I can confirm the demo page on our website is working and I have been sending out demos almost every day. Please email me at sam@hosports.com with your phone number and I’ll call you to get things going.

Cheers!

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
@savaiusini I’m sure there had to be a mishaps. Usually goes that way. Luckily HO is teamed up with Performance Ski and Bill assured me he’d make me happy and sold me on it. Team Performance always pulls through.

• Baller

@Orlando76 i had the same thing happen to me last year when i wanted to try the pro model so you aren't the only one. i ended up reaching out to jon travers and tried an alpha instead.

@BCM looking at the two i would think that the supershell allows for a little more flex than the classic (with the carbon u) while being more fitted to the plate. i could be wrong though as i'm not an expert in these bindings. im also curious in how the reflex reacts/fits vs the edge or if they're somewhat similar.

• Baller

@mcsd1992 - I believe the blackcuff Reflex is a little stiffer forward/backward but maybe a bit softer side to side than my older SuperShell. I have not tried the new version with the carbon-u. If I were in the market right now I would look into the fit of the boot and determine which boots fit my foot well, then figure which one I could get the best deal on.

I can't tell a difference between the BlackCuff and SuperShell with heal cup in regard to how they are fitted to the plate. If they are setup up properly there should not be any play in either. The only reason I would prefer a heal cup on my trick ski is because I often put the ski back on in the water. I leave the release set pretty loose while working on toes, I am not very good and release a lot. Trying to center the boot between the two plastic screws while in head deep water without a vest is a challenge.

• Baller

@BCM thanks for your info it will help me a long way into deciding which way to go.

overall i think what i need to do before switching any kind of gear up is get myself back to where i'm 100% consistent to where i was last summer. living in the northeast definitely puts a damper on my ability to ski year round lol. after coming off an arm injury last year i think i need to work on that first and make sure my form is correct first and foremost before anything else....after all...we can talk all day about different gear and what it might do but if your form isnt correct then none of it matters lol