Raw water pump removal

E_T

Johnson crank driven water pump removal. After you unbolt from the crank and support bracket is it keyed or pressed on or should it fall right off ? @Jody_Seal. It’s leaking from the back. I assume replacing the whole unit is the best option ?

• Baller
They corrode to the pulley - bolted flat to it with no key or anything else holding it on. I'd apply heat and penetrating lube as it cools if it doesn't just come off with light tapping when all the bolts are removed. If you smack it with a mallet you can break them in half - or it'll pop off. They sell a seal replacement kit for the pump - heck of a lot cheaper than replacing the whole pump.

• Baller

If you go new, be sure you get the right one. There are two, F5B-9 and F6B-9. It says which one you have on the front cover of the pump.

I just took the easy route and found a new replacement for $145 (included a new impeller).

• Baller

It might take some convincing to get off but once the three bolts are out, there's nothing but chemistry holding it in place. Give it a light tap with a soft mallet and it should pop off.

If the oring is in place behind the seal and before the bearings, the bearings should not have gotten wet. I took mine apart the other day and inspected the bearings. They were flawless. The o-ring is there to shed water before it reaches the bearings.

Rebuilt my pump for $1.75. Order enough of these to get free shipping and you'll have enough seals to rebuild your pump and those of your friends for ages.

Johnson Pump Shaft Seals