ZO compatibility question to engine.

Wish

• Baller_

So I have a friend looking for a boat. He's settled in on SN 196 2002-2009 with ZO conversion if needed. What seems to be confusing is what is and how are these boats converted to ZO. Some Excalibur's need ECMs changed out to do it. Some don't is my understanding. Then throw in the 6L 409s...clueless

My limited understanding with an Excalibur SN boat

2002-2006-07 needs ZO and ECM change needed; $4000ish (Excal 330). Gateway box???

2008-2009 needs ZO but no ECM change needed; $2000ish (Excal 343). Reflash ???

No understanding if the boat has a 6L but not ZO for any year.

@Jody_Seal ?

• Baller
2002 needs an ECM change. Is part of ZO conversion. I think you are thinking of gateway. 2002 is wired system only. No gateway needed. 2003-2006-07 you need new gateway box.(ECM not sure on 03 but believe 06-07 can be reflashed.

• Baller
When my 196 limited was converted, there was increased cost due to changing out the gateway. Jody told me if it had been the "ski version" with key ignition, no gateway conversion required. Think the list price of the gateway wa about $1000.00

I just went through this recently while boat shopping. I ended up buying a 2007 Nautique 206 with the Excalibur 330, keyed iginition and installing Zero Off. I needed the Zero Off kit (obviously), a few extra cables from Zero Off (discovered half way through the process...CAN bus extension cable and the Power Extension cable), then an ECU reflash (discovered after trial and error). All in ended up costing $2k+.

I believe the general guidelines in Post 1 are mostly correct. A few nuiances I learned along the way:

- For me, it was better to have the "base" model (keyed ignition) versus the LE or Team with the touch pad. A few less part needed. Also, non-ZO related, but I sought out a keyed ignition for maintenance concerns down the road.

- As I understand, you need an E Controls ECU. 2008+ have this. Some 2007s do. Mine did, fortunately, so no ECU swap required.

- My ECU did, however, require a re-flash. Which simply involved mailing it to PCM and waiting a week. I'm told this is because my 2007 was early in the production run.

Now, the ZO is working flawlessly and I'm loving the 206.

• Baller
@TEL As @UWSkier said. You do not have to change throttle control unit to throttle by wire. Standard old style throttle control works. Throttle by wire is activated on the engine by a special electronic box that reads what standard old style throttle wants and electronically tells the engine. Gear selection continues as normal.