Weather app recommendations?

jcamp

• Baller
Weather Underground gives you hour-by-hour wind and temp forecasts for up to 10 days. Like with anything, further out is less accurate, but I've found it to be pretty good within a 48 hour window. Pick airport stations for best wind data.

• Baller

Hey everyone, I want to pass this on to all of you. This is good info that you might want to know that I received from Scot Chipman. He is a meteorologist (weatherman). He saw my previous post about WindAlert and Windy so he sent me a text explaining how WindAlert works and why it is possibly the most accurate app out there. I though what he told me might be helpful to you guys.

Scot's text to me said "The quicklook plus forecast on WindAlert is the best forecast for the next 15 hours out. It uses the HRRR 3km hi resolution rapid refresh model that updates every hour. Most all other sources use something like NAM 12km model that updates 4 times a day and is not as high in resolution. With WindAlert you can select which model from many to look at. With other sources/apps you have no idea even what model data you are getting data from."

I don't understand some of that but it sounds good!

• Baller

For rural areas I like Weather Underground. They use personal weather stations and build a spot forecast for that station. I have a $150 station at my house that uploads to them, they build a spot forecast for that station. Many others essentially triangulate between major weather stations to predict your location, not bad in a city or near and airport. Bad if your are in hilly or mountainous terrain far from an airport.

I use Windy for wind information. It was recommended to me by a co-worker who recently retired as a wildland fire behavior analyst (he predicted fire spread for a living, wind is very important in that world).

Love WindAlert, thanks @Garn for the information! With WindAlert you can choose which model to use from several, from the research I did on the 3km High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR) is the best forecast model to use for short term forecasts out to 15 hours. This model updates every hour with new data.

The only downside of WindAlert is you need to have a weather station close by to click on for the forecast. If someone finds another app that uses the HRRR model data that allows you to click anywhere on a map for a forecast for that exact spot please post it.