Help an old dog learn new tricks

mmskiboat

• Members

I'm relatively new to water skiing, been doing it for about 2 years. I learned to drop and do deep water starts last year and was hooked.

I'm 53, 5'10 and about 170lbs. I have a 69 (I think) Radar ButterKnife, went with a larger ski to be more stable and make deep water start easier, also thought I would get a new ski and this would be a good ski to have on the dock for others.

We are on a lake without a course and do free skiing. But I want to get to course skiing and there are some near our lake.

At the moment we are skiing at around 31mph.

Before Covid hit my wife got me some lessons at Mcclintocks but I do not know if I will be heading out there this season or not. They are open but we are at a higher risk so will play it safe for awhile I think. I might see if they will do some video instruction for one of the lessons (I have 3).

But even before lessons are there any basic pointers of what to do and practice and not do so that I'm in a better place to be a teachable student? I have tried to find videos of basic posture etc. I wanted to see if you guys had some links to stuff that really helped you or people around you that were getting started.

I also want to get new rope and handle as we have some cheap gear we just bought to get started. Any suggestions for length and type? My wife does not want to do course and will just free ski.

I think that I will get a new ski this season also and was looking at the Senate and it seems to be a good fit for where I want to end up. Not sure if this would make sense or another ski might be a better choice (HO Omni)? I also wanted to get MOB as I want to try and have as much protection for my legs as possible. Not sure if starting with these sooner make sense to be learning with them or not a big deal to switch to them later when they would be required more.