Water Temp Fin Adjustments PSA

AdamCord

• Baller

Public Service Announcement

It's the time of year when people are starting to ski a lot right when the water temps are changing quickly.

This is a PSA to try and save people some headache as their ski that was working well in colder water may start acting strange as the water temps rise.

In general warmer water will make your ski shut down faster and get behind you if you had your ski working well in colder water. Or it may be turning well but you're getting too loaded up behind the boat.

You will most likely need to make one or more of these adjustments:

Fin Forward

Fin Shallower

Less Wing

Boot Back

Which you should try will depend on your setup. For instance if you are running a 9 wing, maybe try 8, or if your boots are forward of stock, pull them back, etc. If you aren't sure where to start I'd suggest you move the fin forward and shallower first. Typically small adjustments are required as the water warms up, or if you travel to a new site that has a vastly different water temp.

• Baller_

I have never been a proponent of adjustments for water temp, but was starting to struggle about 3 weeks ago (mid June) and decided to try fin fwd. Moved forward 0.020 and the ski came back to life. Then as the water warmed more, I was struggling again and went forward another 0.015 yesterday and again, the ski came back to life.

It definitely makes a bigger difference with a very setting finicky ski (Goode) than some others, but still worth a try.

Thanks Adam!

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

@AdamCord

Thanks for you recent advice for our current cold water. It certainly helped. The only thing I notice here is you suggesting less wing? I thought with cold water having more drag that cold would require less wing and warmer water would be more angle?

• Baller

How do skiers typically define “warm water”?

In MN we go from mid 40’s (not a lot of skiing at this extreme) to lots of summer skiing in mid 70’s. Occasionally a week of water in the 82-84 range if we’ve had a week of 90 degree air.

@SkiJay has a lot of good information about cold vs warm water in his book. Once thing he mentions that we all need to keep in mind is as water warms and cools the main thing that changes is the viscosity, density change is very minor.

Warmer water is less viscous than cold water and therefore has less drag. What fin/boot settings to change as the water warms is above my pay grade and a source a much debate.

• Baller_
How about adjusting for water depth? If you train in water that’s five feet deep and go to a pond that’s 15 feet deep, or vise versa, that’s a change. I add depth for shallow water or take depth out for deeper water, as necessary.

Lpskier

• Baller
I've always had my '17 VAPOR ready for early and late season, I could never get my '18 to work in cold water. Hoping my '20 will do both, time will tell. Cold meaning ice out to ice in EH!

• Baller

The info in this thread has allowed me to have the most consistent season I have ever had which in turn has allowed me to make some of the biggest improvements in a single year.

Thank You Adam and all the posters for sharing.