Wet Boat Carpet

APB

• Baller

What are your best solutions for keeping carpet clean and mildew free for a boat that always seems to be wet? Any special products, treatments etc. Sometimes I’ve got a tarp my boat when it’s wet.

I know that boats get wet. I’m just looking to see if anyone has any hacks.

• Baller
@APB I park my boat in a garage when not in use and have a oscillating fan mounted on the side wall above the boat that usually dries the boat out over night. My garage is heated and well insulated so no worries about freezing during the cold winter months

• Baller

Everyone who gets on the platform out of the lake has to stand there for 20 seconds and take of the jacket before they climb inside the boat. Yes it's a boat and gets wet inside, but why make it 10 times worse than it needs to be?

I make my passengers do it given it's my boat and since I'm the one who has to deal with any problems like drying out the carpet then it's my way or no ski.

All this with a smile on my face of course!

• Baller

I use small anti -humidity boxes from the local store. They made for damp int he house and cupboards.

It has chemical balls in it which attract and absorb the moisture front he surrounds into a container .

I permanently leave 2 in the boat and it dries it out perfectly when forced to pack away and cover wetter than i would like... Works incredibly well

buymkaz27s5h.png

• Baller

Easiest solution is to get a newer Prostar and just run w no carpet.

More economically speaking, a few ideas:

— the “dry off on platform” is a good one. Even fling life jacket around a bit.

— hand towel to skier as they are on platform or get back in.

— take the thickest towel you own and lay it across back of the boat on the floor. Jackets / gloves etc go on this. It Will also catch the drips when they get back in. You will have a “10 pound towel” after skiing. Works great.

— cover, what do you have? A breathable “Sunbrella” cover will work well to cool out the moisture Especially if it is black and the boat is in the sun.

If you have a few guys skiing, above will work good, if you have 5 people and kids etc in and out all day swimming maybe not....

• Baller

Seriously, your ship, you're captain. As been said, everyone in my ski circle stands for a moment on the platform and drips off the heavy, its not torture. Its not unreasonable. Also not frivolous and more than cosmetic on a wood based boat. everyone gets it.

During club pulls I've had club members clamber and flop in bringing a gallon in every time till i just explain what i need to see. most times, they remember. Not everything is a fight. Noone should fear snowflake fewwings either. Yet to encounter anyone who did not see the merit nor was sour afterwards. if i ever do, frankly don;t want them in my boat.

Sometimes the drip down doesn't happen. Thats when you don't freak your sh|t either. We're all imperfect humans.

Similarly to skimtb, for those times its forgotten and new people are expected, i keep a couple sacrificial beach towels laid out to soak up the heavy, leaving the stern not saturated.

I also give my jacket some swings afterwards. no mater who's boat im in. Others may not be picking up that lead, and thats ok.

• Baller_
In FL it matters to keep as much water out in the first place. But if your boat gets very wet and you have to cover it, drop in a lagit portable plug in home dehumidifier and toss the tarp over it. We brought my buddys new to him 08 home through a torrential FL down poor. Wet was an understatement. Some towel drying as much as could be done and then 2 full night with cover on and dehumidifier running inside. Pulled at least 3 gallons out maybe more. Dry as a bone now.

• Baller
I dry my carpet best I can after each use. I use chamois like items called THE ABSORBER which are great. Look for them at auto parts stores. Use to wipe down the boat after skiing, but I toss them on the floor and walk on them to get the water up too. Works great. Much better than towels as these things wring out easily and are ready to be loaded again, and they hold a lot of water. Walk on them and wring them out over and over. Really soaks up the water out of carpeting. Works great. I keep 3 at the dock. They just roll up and go back into their plastic tubes when done. Stored damp, til next time. Washable, last for years. Get a few of these. Yes having already replaced all the wood in my boat (better than factory now) I'm OCD about water, but it's just good skier etiquette to make an effort to keep as much out as you can, regardless of who's boat it is.

• Baller
This might sound like overkill and a lot of trouble, but it works great for me. I place cheap cotton towels on the carpet, covering almost the entire floor. On top of the large towel at the back, I place two rubber backed "welcome" type mats to catch most of the water from the skiers getting into the boat. The towels on the floor on both sides of the motor box catch water from skis, boots, gloves, and jackets. After skiing, pull it all out and place into the sun to dry or into the clothes dryer if I am in a hurry. I find that this takes care of at least 95% (seems like more) of the water that would have been in the boat, and I can put it up almost dry. I have it down to a routine, so it is just part of cleaning the boat after each use. Never had a problem with mildew or odor in my 22-year old boat. My boat is kept covered on a lift. You will be surprised how soaking wet a thin cotton towel can be and the carpet underneath can be nearly dry.

• Baller

When I had to cover my boat every night I would place an oscillating fan on the floor in the passenger side back corner under the cover. It worked well in wet Washington winters storing the boat in a temporary carport (steel tubing and tarp type) with an old cover. The cover did not allow it to vent but the air movement under the cover dried things up nicely. If I forgot to plug the fan in it would get mildew in a matter of days, with the fan running I could go all winter without issue. In my area in winter the dehumidifying containers/packs would fill with water in a matter of hours.

Also, coil the rope over water and give it a shake before setting on the floor. Ropes bring in a fair bit of water.