Lake water temp sensor replacement?

hemlock

• Baller

Anyone with an early 2000 Malibu that had issues with the lake water temp not showing correct temperatures?

My 2003 SunsetterLXI is showing the lake temp in the digital display as around 100 to 150 F. Obviously not correct.

Could this be the sensor?

I have a paddlewheel and a depth sensor, but then I have this weird thing, (which I think is the water temp sensor).

I don't believe my water temp sensor is in the paddlewheel like other boats, but not 100% sure.

Sorry for the crappy dark picture. This is just to the bow side of my bilge pump and very close to the pilon.

z4ak5t792bm8.jpg

It looks like two wires are set into a small hole in the hull, and then it looks epoxied to keep it water tight.

I remember seeing some kind of sensor under the hull that looks like a quarter size black plunger with a small tube on it.

I've always assumed this was the water temp sensor.

Anyway, any tips on how to fix the issue?

Can I replace just the part under the hull, or do I have to replace everything including new wires back to the dash?

Thanks.

• Baller

Yeah, I know. :)

It's been broken for years, but thought I would finally take a stab at trying to fix it.

I'm hoping the sensor might be something I can remove from underneath and replace, but not making any bets about it.

• Baller

Thought I would bump this thread and see if anyone has tackled this problem? Anyone replace this sensor? or installed a different one to get accurate water temp readings? Here are some better pics of the water/lake temp sensor:

ipkcpjqp6wds.jpg

and here is a top view from within the engine bilge area:

1xgfjjjrvr5a.jpg

Thanks.

I contacted a local dealer but haven't heard back yet if this sensor can be replaced.