2001 Model Year SN196 w/GT40, how many fuel filters?

Fast351

• Baller

I'm doing some maintenance on my boat (a 2001 196) and was wondering if anyone can clue me in on the number of fuel filters on it? It seems like this should be something in the user manual but I'll be damned if I can find it.

I know there is one in the FCC (Fuel Control Center) and that the canister spins off using an oil filter wrench. Is there an inline filter anywhere or is that the only fuel filter on the boat?

Thanks!

there is a fuel pump inside the canister, check the hose that is 3" long from which the pump dangles. that is a known failure point. hose cracks, you lose pressure and boat sputters at low rpms.

there is an upgrade kit out there.

• Baller

@yardsale yep, apparently. The wire connector can also go bad. Mines all original except the filter, though not a lot of hours. I'll probably replace next time I change the filter since it's almost 20 years old!

@Fast351 btw. You will likely need a lot more than an oil filter wrench for yours. I have a massive set of channelloc pliers, very required. It does mark up the outside of the canister but it usually takes a fair bit of force to get it off.

• Baller

I took it off and put it in a vise, then used a strap wrench with a pipe on it.

It took an amazing amount of force and actually bent the strap wrench.

ihhvzetlhsxi.jpeg

I reassembled it with camshaft lube (super viscous but does really well under high pressure like threads) and reassembled with reasonable force.

Old filter looked pretty good which makes me think it's been replaced since factory but that filter housing sure was tight!