Public slalom sites in Michigan

NSski

• Baller

Whitmore Lake has a public access point and a the lakes ski team or club maintains the course. Pine Lake used to have a course, it may still have one but I’m not really sure the lake has a public access point.

Public courses are pretty limited in the SE Michigan area. DNR makes it pretty hard to get a course in the water.

• Baller
Other big issue tons of lakes that have courses are "public" in the sense that you can portage a canoe in from a park but do not have a DNR boat launch. MI allows those launches owned by property owners to gate/chain so you cannot use the launch.

We are going to try to vacation in Michigan (anywhere is fine, we were looking at northern or western as a starting point) instead of Lake Norris. We ski at a private lake in Ohio during the season, so I would like to point my family in the direction of a lake with a course.

• Baller

Hey guys!

I am part of a student project researching about slalom waterskiing. To get more information, we'd love to get some replies on our survey.

So if you have 2 minutes to spare to help us out, please follow this link:

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=j7xkdTg3TUu9V1oCymIV-2ZywakiqnNNsOBF_g47tN5UMk40WlBIOFlUNTFMVk0wRVJEWE5aSjFURyQlQCN0PWcu

I also created a discussion with a little bit more information :)

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/25001/questionnaire-student-project-research

Does anyone know if Whitmore lake still has a course? I am in the Howell area looking for a slalom course to tow my boat to a few times a week. I am more than happy to pay any dues, just looking to get some skiing in! Thanks.

• Baller_

@Wayne, isn't this your neck of the woods?

Looking at Google Earth images, it appears they've had a jump on the lake at one time. No telling whether it or a slalom course are still there or not.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

So I’ve heard permits for courses are hard to get but this realtor somehow found active permits (albeit from 2012) for like 20ish lakes in Oakland county and at least 5-10 are public. Anyone know if any of these courses are still there? Or can be easily found? I lost my ski site last fall and am looking for a new lake to ski on and potentially a boat to buy...

Here is the website: http://www.michiganlakerealestatehomes.com/Lakes-in-Oakland-County-with-water-ski-courses

• Baller

Excellent! Thank you for the info. I actually went surfing with a work colleague on middle straits last summer and saw the course up which peaked my interest. I could end up doing a lot of skiing there this summer.

Elizabeth is private I think but big lake has a boat launch.

• Baller
@dammeyer11 @MISkier yes, Elizabeth is private. Club royale is the marina off of cass elizabeth lake rd. I don’t believe you can launch a boat from that marina unless you have a slip there. Wakeboard clinic run by Brian Snabes runs out of there as well. He bought the ski school that was on pine lake from Dirk Dzierawski

• Baller

@MISkier yep. I’m on Portage lake (the one on the Huron River) but drive over that way for work. Well not lately, been working from home for almost a year now.

@msuws Whitmore lake should have a course, I’m not sure when they put it back in the water though. Usually April or May. The jump only gets put in the water when the ski club is using it. Most of the time they have it beached.

@Wayne Thanks for the info. Is there a course on Portage lake/is is public? I am in Marion township so not too far from there either. I have also heard there is a course on Halfmoon lake which is just down the road from you, have you checked that one out?

Regarding the Whitmore lake course, do you know anyone there I could get in touch with to ask permission?

• Baller

@msuws unfortunately there is not a course on Portage anymore. It was taken out about 10 years ago.

I’ve checked Half Moon lake on satellite images and have driven around it. There isn’t a course on there as far as I can tell. Maybe some one is dropping in a temporary course?

I’ve skied the Whitmore course. No

Permission needed as far as I know.

• Baller

@LZywicki1 and @skimtb i was skiing on a little private lake about a mile west on sterns road off I-75 about 3-4 miles north of the Ohio border. It was called Swerve and Jason Wroblewski ran the club there. The lake owner wasn’t a skier and decided not to invite us back this year.

• Baller

@dammeyer11 We've got a permit for a course on Walled Lake that I believe will be out this year. No public launch w parking, but PM me and we could work out parking if you needed.

I've got an 88 PS for sale too if you're thinking to go that old.

• Baller_

I did some checking with someone who lives near there and was told Loon Lake does have a course.

Edited: If you didn't see it, it might be an Accusink or other submersible. In Michigan, many lakes require you to remove or sink the course each night. Some even say, when "not in actual use". It could be that it was sunk.

• Baller
Loon Lake has/had a course. I haven't skied it in a couple years, but used it often prior to that. It generally doesn’t go in until after Memorial Day. As I remember, they are also required to pull it out on weekends boat traffic. The course runs parallel with Dixie Hwy on the Southwest side of the lake. It’s in shallow water and you can see many of the the sub-buoys from the boat. If you run into any skiers out there, offer to help put in or pull out the buoys. Weekday mornings were always the best conditions.

• Baller_

Based on @spartanskier10 information, I was able to search a few Google Earth images and locate one with the course showing. I marked the gates on this image, so you should be able to locate the subs.

g7weiqb2nvjl.jpg

• Baller_

@dammeyer11, here are the approximate coordinates for the gates, in the event you have a way to see GPS coordinates while you are out there.

Gates 1

42°40'47.84"N

83°21'43.58"W

Gates 2

42°40'46.38"N

83°21'32.34"W