Heater System - Bilge Runs More Often

andymckinley

• Baller

Most likely it’s behind the kick panel at the drivers feet, you should be able to undo a few screws to remove it, but remove it carefully if your on/off/bilge switch is on the panel.

In the interim, if you get a short section of heater hose, you can short circuit/bypass the heating core by detaching the feed & return lines off the engine block and attaching the new section hose as a bypass.

Thank you Pat M. I am trying that forum too.

BraceMaker and Jmoski ... Heater ducts come out under the seat behind the driver's seat (typical v-drive layout) and by the driver's feet. Water is coming out of the bilge hot/warm.

Accessing and finding is my issue.

I took the main floor panel out yesterday and then the kick plate (this has fuses mounted to it). The heater core is not directly under/behind these panels. From looking at the owner's manual diagram, reading other posts, and following the heater ducts as best I can, I think it might be in front of the driver's seat or below the throttle on the starboard side. Again, so far I can not figure out how to access. Would pictures help?

I will take a look at the bypass option.

Spent 30 minutes at lunch and found the following. The heat exchanger is leaking when I run the boat. See pics. The 2nd pic is after driving for 5 minutes at 30 mph and the water was very hot. Later tonight or tomorrow I am going to take the heat exchanger out and assess. Is this broken if it is leaking or is possible that I just need to seal it?

r8y74hgrevet.jpg

oumgj9zl78ta.jpg

• Baller

Just need to replace the core. Typically not even worth trying to have a radiator shop fix it. Or just bypass it, never understood heaters in a boat - when it is cold put on more clothes. (And yes it gets cold here)

As an interim or permanent solution just get a piece of tube that fits inside the in and out hoses and clamp them together. Then you can use your boat.

• Baller

I have heard on the internet (so it must be true) the new cores are stainless or aluminum and last longer.

Originally they were automotive cores, which is ok with Auto coolant And non corrosive properties. Add lake water and maybe not so good....

So, benefit to new core is you may be done with the issue permanently.

Heater is nice for warm air for your hands and feet as well at into a towel wrapped around you.

More clothes don’t always have same effect.

Nice feature, even if it adds a few min to winterizing.

• Baller

There is a small, very small, chance it could be a loose hose or a crack in a hose but as others have mentioned your core is likely done. Running raw lake water through the heater cores is very tough on them. Automobiles have highly engineering coolant running through them so they aren't subject to the corrosion that a boat heater core is.

May or may not matter but when I'm not planning to use my heater I shut off the valve to it so it doesn't have any lake water running through it. Maybe this is worse as lake water sits in it... I don't know. When my heater core goes out not sure I'll replace it as the accessibility of it is awful!