2015 Prostar Starter Motor Replacement - Ilmor substitute?

skibug

• Baller
Our starter needs to be replaced, wondering if anyone else has replaced an Ilmor motor starter and if it was a substitute from the OEM starter. OEM starter is pretty pricey compared to the SNs or Malibus.

• Baller

• Baller

@Andre - 100% agree but make sure the rebuilder knows how to do marine and has marine parts. My normal guy did an alternator for me and clearly left the screening out.

I asked him about it - and the owner just sort of cursed and said come back tomorrow. Next day redone, different parts, the screens back in. He just said his normal techs have no clue about marine stuff so he redid it himself.

• Baller

@oldjeep , thanks!! I did see those but I was worried about compatibility. Is engine rotation the same?

@Andre thanks!! Yes, I reached out to a local shop....but 1.5 week turn around is too long to be down. I will probably have it done anyway to have a backup.

• Baller

Oooops. 1.5 week? :o

No time to waste in summer!

Find this guy a starter!!!

I take it you checked with Vince at SkiDim? and Amazon? :o

Got a part number and pictures?

There's not a thousand way to mount a starter on a 350 and can't be that much different then Indmar or Mercruiser...i think.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

nsciht4p2ykj.png

Found this pic of the web.

I will retract my previous statement and say that it is totally plausible that only an Ilmor will fit...

332$

Comes with lubrification i hope.It's a f....... starter!

281$ MCpartsdepot ...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

I'd buy the $60 option option off ebay (the black painted one) as that looks like it will stand up to marine environment better. Then take in your other one for a rebuild. You can replace the stock one once fixed if you want it all to match and have a spare if you ever need it.

Agree with @oldjeep there is 0% chance these starters are purpose built for Illmor. They are using a standard starter and painting it to match the engine.

@skibug Just curious. Did the starter stop turning over the engine? I have a 2017 PS with a 6.2 and it really seems to start hard. It usually brings the volts down to around 8-9 volts on the volt gauge when it starts, but it always starts. I have replaced the battery and I have cleaned the cables at both ends (Starter/battery). I am thinking my starter is going bad?

• Baller

The slow turn over speed and the drop in voltage is due to the battery placement in the 2014-2020 ProStar. The main power cables run from the battery in the very back of the boat all the way up to the power cutoff switch on the right side of the passage to the bow. Then the power to the starter comes from more cables from the power panel back to the engine box. With current flows of 100+ amps during starting, there is no way around 2-3 volts of drop in that much cable.

I think the simple fix is to move the battery to the storage compartment right in front of the ski pylon. This should also increase the life of the starter, because when the voltage drops the current goes up even higher which shortens the life of the starter.

The even simpler fix, or harder depending on your point of view, is to buy a 2021 ProStar.

• Baller
How big a cables are on the battery? The other fix would be to get some 0/2 fine wire cables and run them to the stock location. A lot less drop than the standard undersized 4 gauge cables that come in most boats.