2017 Prostar Beep! on power up

Jaypro

• Baller

I don't know how to stop it but my understanding is the purpose is to let you know that it can beep. If the beep turns into a constant on then it's letting you know there is an issue.

Instead of an idiot light we get an idiot beep :)

I also have 17' PS and the start up beep is really loud. My boat has the same loud beep every time I turn on the key and when I start the boat with the push button. I went into the settings and shut off the shallow water depth alarm, low fuel warning and zero off alarms, but that did not stop it. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but my boat seems to start hard and I easily loose 3-5 volts during start up. Maybe that is a low voltage alarm?

I guess I get the idiot beep!!

• Baller

I like the way @Kwoody51 put it.... "purpose {of the beep} is to let you know that it can beep"

The beep is like the idiot light in a car. Can't say for sure what symptoms are tied to the beep, but I would think that temperature and oil pressure likely are.

The beep on start up is a test of the beep. Doesn't bother me any. I would much rather deal with a beep when the system boots up than to be cruising down the lake while my engine is melting down and not realize the engine is melting down because the beep thats suppose to beep when the engine is melting down doesn't beep because it isn't working.

• Baller

The beep is there to save you from a big repair bill. Funny its never bothered me but see how it could. Darn it now that you’ve mentioned it it will make me more sensitive to this and will probably bother me now.

@mcdrew I have a 17 as well and read somewhere that because the battery is located in the rear of the boat there is significant(normal) voltage drop because of the distance and size of cables. The new 2021 has the battery relocated under the passenger seat and should have reduced voltage drop because of the shorter distance.

• Baller

@DavidN Word on the street is you can get better coverage using electrical tape, but you didn't hear that from me.

It is a warning buzzer, so you don't want to get rid of it completely. That being said, I hate unnecessary beeps in the boat. We turn the sound off on our Zero Off. When I ski behind a boat with the beeps on I find it distracting now.

• Baller
The ignition takes a good bit of power. Its normal for the Voltage to drop quite a bit while starting (before alternator kicks in.) Along that line also, if the voltage drops below 11v it likely won't start..... It will crank fine, but not fire. Bad thing is, at that point it just keeps cranking till you either run the battery down, or go grab the battery switch and turn it off.