Radar boots, do you put soap on the liners to come out in a fall?

cragginshred

• Baller

I had a partial release of my front carbitex boot yesterday. Back foot came out no prob but the front boot did not allow my front foot to fully come out resulting in some strained medial and lateral ligaments and my achilles is pretty sore which means I was likely on the threshold of some serious damage.

I've read here about putting bags over the liners or soap apart from the obvious don't lace the top tight -which I never do.

Whats some effective methods?

• Baller
I've always felt that putting soap on with these liners is the wrong thing to do based on how they are designed to work. The liner is designed to come out of the boot with your foot completely in it. If your foot starts slipping out first the liner is bound to fold or bind and trap the foot stopping the release. Another factor with these boots is improper sizing. I am a 10.5 sz shoe. I fit in a 10 or an 11. I fit in both sets but the 10 with boa is much harder to get out of after a set.

• Baller

Do you test the release before you jump in the water? What I mean is that I have the older version of those boots (the strada) and before every set I snug the top laces then lean forward as if trying to step out of the boot. It amazes me how sometimes I can pull the laces (seemingly) more than other times and still the liner can pretty well come out with minimal effort and other times I have to back off the laces because it seems to limit movement too much. Also, it's a good idea if the boot and liner are wet when you do this for obvious reasons.

Anyway, it doesn't directly answer your question but it is potentially a solution nonetheless.

Side note, I also snug the bottoms up tight. I then tighten the top laces as tight as I can while still allowing me to feel as though they will release in a crash (by doing my previously mentioned test). I believe there is a correct way to position the tongue too. I think it's supposed to be on the outside, not the inside although I'm not sure and haven't noticed any difference between the two.