How to get better at skiing?

I mainly free ski and I feel that I'm at a point where progressing is getting difficult. I find the harder I try to ski on open water that it leads to me pulling past the second wake then the rope goes slack. I think I'm putting my extra effort in at the wrong time. I'm thinking about trying to ski harder/ faster in my cut vs trying to get to the other side of the wake faster. Where should I be putting in my extra effort? I have to feel like I'm working for something leisurely going out and skiing doesn't work for me. lol

• Baller

Paid coaching is where I would start. One lesson from a good coach would likely save tons of headache trying to figure it out yourself.

Horton posted about the benefits for his ski partner and how much of a difference a lesson from a legit coach made. Ill try and find the post.

• Baller
Absent the opportunity to get professional coaching (or even if you do) I highly recommend listening to the podcast series “Spraymakers with Rossi + Trent”. They cover a wide gamut of subjects all focused on water skiing technique and theory, and address the very questions you posed in your post.

I ran into a plateau skiing open water in my past life. My best recommendation to improving is getting on a course more, truly the only way to measure improvement.

If that's not possible like others have said, coaching or ski with better skiers.

Slack is usually generated from a downcourse ski path.