Advice required for Junior skis

jenksski

I'm looking to get my son (6, average height) a set of combo skis. He's currently skiing on something similar to a HO Hot Shot Training ski 46".

I'd liked to get him a set with a RTP for when he'll try slalom. I want him to feel safe and confident. We both only ski a set a week and want him to enjoy it as much as possible, but still want him to keep improving slowly.

My question is....... What size combo set should I be looking into getting? Or an alternate?

Someone suggested the O'Brien Jnr Vortex combos 54"?

All advice and recommendations would be great.

Thanks!

• Baller

Our kids usedthe O'brien Jr Vortex - it was one of the only skis that had a RTP with a kids combo set. The wide profile certainly helped them get up on a slalom ski (note all 4 of my kids failed at dropping skis, and learned just to get up on one with).

The downside of that model, is that with the double concave tunnel, they very quickly out performed that tunnel and now all 4 are on Radar TRA's ripping.

We’re pretty new to this, but same experience as Windsurfnut. My 9- and 7- year olds start on the Vortex, and the width helped them with deep water starts. They got good enough that the wide ski would almost bounce them over the wake, and last year I got a TRA for the older girl. Her younger sister struggled to get out of the water on it still, and needed a little more time on the Vortex.

Both girls skied nationals a couple weeks ago in G1, the 7 year old on that Vortex still. She wasn’t first place, and she wasn’t last either.

We just ordered a Goode, and next year one kid will probably be on that with the other on the TRA. I think that Vortex is a good ski to bridge from trainer into slalom.

• Baller
We’ve had a great experience with HO Blast combos. Really helped our kids and many friends learn to ski. Our daughter used the Blast slalom for years, through 15 yrs old and skiing the course, until she got her own ski at 16.

Agree with the above comments. My 4 & 6 year olds progressed quickly on a pair of O’Brien Jr Vortex skis. I put some tail weights on them, which made deepwater starts effortless. They eventually learned to drop to proper slalom skis (Jr Siege and a Small P6 for the 6 yo). Tail weights also make it easier to find the dropped ski ;) Based on my experience, I would advance the bindings forward on the junior vortex if you plan on using them as a dedicated slalom ski when learning the course.