What is all the hub-bub about?

Keith_Menard

• Baller

First off, big shout out to Scott Bellefeuille for passing the handle. When I asked my son what he wanted for his 14th birthday, he said, I just want to ski with my friends and have Pizza. I took a few of his friends from Nipmuc ski club and drove them down to Pachaug where Scott gave each of them a lesson in the course. Really just an awesome gesture by a great skier to pass the handle!

Now, when I got to pachaug and went to back the boat in...I found this...

izvf9mvaxpz8.png

Thankfully, my Uncle came and rigged up something to get us home (and while we were waiting we tried a new sport...kayak skiing, top speed....24mpg)

So, it needs a new hub:

tpjt60cjnntb.png

and I am looking for suggestions on what to get? Is this the time to do electric brakes? What size are these? What is the top speed of an African Swallow?

Thank you!

btw...the boys each did a slalom run, then played on the trick skis, and when we went to the club, they did some jumping...a 3 event day was had by all :) Oh...and the trailer lasted long enough for me to get them pizza.

• Baller

The hub most likely does not need to be replaced. You need a replacement bearing and race set. Maybe a grease cap if that's gone too. The races are a press fit in and out. Any trailer shop will swap the races out for you if you can't do it yourself. They can be blasted out in about 5 seconds with an air chisel if you're handy or tapped out for a long, arduous time manually with a drift and hammer.

The bearings and races are super-duper standard stuff that most auto parts stores and certainly any trailer part store would have in stock, you can bring them in. You'll also need an inner double lip seal which will come with any kit you get most likely.

And from now on check your bearings regularly. Check for heat at any gas station stop and give them a spin to check for spin/wobble annually.

• Baller

Wait the hub/drum shown is 6 bolt and the trailer wheel shows 5 bolts. What’s going on here?

I do have that exact six bolt drum pre packed with grease and bearings in my garage, for an old trailer I no longer have. Always kept a loaded spare.