Help me spend my $: Camaro Blacktec vs Titanium

svxwilson

• Baller

Howdy Ballers,

Weather is changing fast up here in MT/WY, I want to extend my ski season into the colder days. I have a blackteck 2.0 full that I like. It keeps me incredibly warm, but I am looking for a second suit.

My second suit I'm considering is a spring and maybe just a top. I am a relatively warm individual so I honestly think I can benefit from the extra mobility and comfort from having my lower leg exposed or waist down. Which is why I am considering the Spring and maybe just a top.

What are your thoughts on Titanium vs Blacktec in a spring vs top suit choices.

My only complaint on my full body 2.0 blacktec is mobility and lack of crotch space which is why I am considering some more options for me to have as the weather changes.

Thank you for your thoughts,

Cheers!

Aaron

• Baller
@svxwilson Titanum more flexible, the spring you barely notice, but not as warm. The tops are different in sizing between Blactec and Titanium. I need a large Titanium but medium Blactec. On the spring I run large on both models.

I have a full body Titanium suit and I love it and don't feel restricted at all. I find it's very warm in respect to it's thickness. However, you have to baby this material. I have tried to take good care of mine, but it is threadbare and work in some areas after just a few years and not that many sets (IMO). But I'll probably buy another one...it's just the perfect balance of warmth without restriction. (I have not tried the Blacktec. My hubby has this one and it seems more restrictive by look/feel).

• Baller
3 of the 4 members of the Wednesday night crew along with my wife and son all have the Stokes suits. Can’t be more pleased with the fit, warmth, and durability. The other member of the Wednesday night crew has a Blacktec and has had issues with it’s durability. Plus the customer service from @Thomasasher is the best.

• Baller
I have a Camaro Blacktec and I love it. Not only keeps me warm, but after I ski I can keep it on in the boat as I spot my boat mates. It keeps the wind out and I'm toasty and happy. PS I'm the type of guy who doesn't mind water in the 40's, but if the air is cold, I whimper and shrivel... Ask @"Keith Menard" :smile:

• Baller

I have this years Stokes

Blachtech Camaro

Titanium Camaro in the newer lighter weight.

Also titanium in the older somewhat heavier weight.

I have the new light Titanium in a long sleeved shorty. Also have it as just a titanium shirt. Impressive suits.

For what your asking in my opinion, and owning them all, the newer lighter weight Titanium is by far the most flexible and lightest. It is my best suit when water is warmer which for me is maybe 65 to 70 plus.

Great spring suit. Very light, flexible, great stretch. Stokes may be tougher but not as capable in the three things I mentioned.

When it’s cold with water lower 40s (like 42 and air in the upper 46) I wear the newer titanium shirt under a full suit Blachtech. Works very well.

I am in Alaska. I used the shout titanium last week with water in the 60s and air in the fifties with sun and little wind. Windy today and air about 49 early so I put on the Blacktech

• Baller
@Cent I have both brands as you. I dry my Stokes inside out, can’t see the reason for not doing that? Stokes are more durable, yes, but the Blactec is much warmer and and we both appreciate the Titanium for it’s flexibility.

• Baller
I will second @savaiusini the HO suits are AMAZING, much better than the Camaro's, super flexible, let next to no water in through the zipper and they do not snag like the Camaro's do. Have been using a shorty in our 60deg water/air currently and been nice and warm and dry.

• Baller

Well I ended up ordering a Spring HO Syndicate Pro from Willeys in Seattle. I will give that a try and report back on my thoughts comparing it to my Camaro Blacktec next week after I ski in it this weekend.

Thank you all for your time, tons of info and I truly appreciate all your opinions and thoughts.

• Baller
I bought an O’Neil Epic LS Shorty from @perfski . Three New England seasons later it’s warm, comfortable and still looking great. From what I’ve seen some of the other company’s “stretchy, warm” suits don’t hold up to well. Call Performance Ski and Surf, they'll help you figure it out.

• Baller

@Cnewbert You can stretch the sleeves of any O’Neil technobutter 3 suit at twice their length and they are very durable too.

I have used most Camaro suits and still using a sleeveless titanium shorty and a blacktech top. But when it comes to winter suits, my choices are the O’Neil Phychofreak 3/2 full suit and the O’Neil Hyperfreak 2mm longarm shortly

• Baller
@skialex thanks. I have a full Camaro Blacktec that I bought early this year. It kept me warm in mid 60s FL spring water. I’ve yet to ski through what passes for our winter, and it’s possible I’ll need something more if the water drops closer to 60 or, God forbid, upper 50s, this coming winter. I have zero tolerance for cold.

• Baller
@Orlando76, performance is all I care about. If there is one of equal or better performance out there, I’m interested, regardless of durability. In my (long) career as an underwater photographer I would get no more than a month out of a wetsuit, if that. By then the compression set had so reduced the thickness and insulating capabilities of the suit it would no longer keep me warm. On longer dive trips of a month or more, I’d bring two new suits with me, switch out half way through the trip, and leave them both behind in case any of the boat’s crew were scrawny enough to fit them. They no longer had any use to me. So I’m accustomed to short lifespans for wetsuits. If I get a full cool water season out of my Camaro (or any other) I’ll be more than pleased if it kept me skiing in comfort.

• Baller
@Cnewbert throughout college I was a dive master on numerous dive boats in west palm, keys, and Tortugas via Ft Myers. Rarely did I use more than an upper rash guard as I didnt find 10 dives (sometimes) a day to 120’+ strenuous. Winter months I’d use a shorty, rarely more. For a while I dove almost all the caves in Florida, sometimes within 3600’ penetration if possible. I’d like to think that was pretty freaking strenuous as often I had to strip down of all my gear and scoot on my belly. At 68* (despite the common misconception of FL aquifer being 72*) O’Neill 2 piece was my go to. In 12 years I went through 2 suits. Unbelievable maneuvering, stretching and dragging across rocks. I gave up cave diving and diving all together and took up water skiing as I decided I was going to die underwater while diving..... frankly not sure I made the right decision. In FL skiing with a Camaro it’s 1-2 per incredibly short season. Great performance from Camaro, shit life.

• Baller

@Orlando76, glad someone finally read the biggest problem of all!

It feels like the beans and sausage are still squished inside the can with any wetsuit I have ever tried. Which includes my current Camaro. Mostly a bean problem, fuckers are always in the way. I could go into more detail but probably not necessary..... o:)

Wetsuits should NOT be unisex and have bulges in the correct locations.... IMO

• Baller

@Orlando76 i guess I’m not entirely sure the point of your post. In any case, if 1-2 Camaros will keep me warm through winter skiing that’s all that matters to me. Because if I’m not warm I’m not skiing. Simple as that. BTW, my professional diving career spanned over 40 years, from the Red Sea to Indonesia and many many thousands of dives. I can’t even begin to count how many wetsuits I burned through over that time. They were essentially consumables for my profession. But I got them for free since my equipment was sponsored, so once they compressed and lost too much of their insulation, I ditched them. I could have a 7 mil suit lose over 10 lbs of buoyancy within two weeks they would permanently compress so much.