Course Anchor Replacement - suggestions needed

jerrym

• Baller
We have a course on a private lake that is about 12 years old. Before filling the lake, the course was surveyed and ground stakes were installed for the boat guides and turn buoys. Unfortunately the stakes are mild steel and are starting to fail. We are looking for a source for stainless steel spiral ground anchors, or for a smarter way to rebuild the course anchors. We have three requirements: avoid draining the lake; maintain the existing buoy locations; and to never need to do this again.

• Members
As suggested above, except place a vertical length of plastic pipe, large enough to fit over your existing steel stakes, in the center (roughly) of each weight. Each piece of pipe should have a cap cemented on, and a stainless eye-bolt through a hole drilled in the end of the cap. Each weight's pipe can then be placed over the existing stake, making each buoy position pretty much identical to its current location.

• Members

FWIW, the late Ed Brazil probably knew more about putting in slalom courses than anyone alive. He wrote many articles on the subject, and last I checked he had over 1300 posts here. It might be worth weeding through them for some insight.

Also, if you know anyone who built one of his "anchor wanker" devices, or even just has photos, that might be something for you to build / borrow to make your project a lot easier. With one of those you can pretty much float into position and set down a 200# block of concrete (on the lake bottom) anywhere you want.

• Baller

Thanks for the responses...much appreciated!

@Skoot1123 - we do not have any dive gear among us but are trying to borrow some. We'll need it if we decide to install new screw anchors.

@adkh2oskier - the water is not deep - 8-12 ft.

@MISkier - is that the anchor wanker that @RGilmore mentioned? That looks like the ticket for concrete anchor handling.

@skierjp - appreciate the product info.

@RGilmore - good suggestion but I'm a bit concerned about plastic pipe possibly breaking. Might need to use sch 80 pipe and cap?

Any thoughts on how heavy the anchor needs to be? We don't want to pull the anchor loose if a rope catches the buoy or boat guide.

• Baller

@jerrym placing screw anchors exactly where you want them under water is challenging at the least...

I have always used 12” concrete blocks filled with concrete and 3/8” stainless steel eyebolts.

My apprentice:

mr9f41zc0sg4.jpeg

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

I made mine slightly different. Since we're sharing, here you go. :-) This approach was super easy to do.

zxxmso54sgba.png

j41xo8uyuz8c.png

These are for the end of the (insta-slalom) course. The eyelet in the center is for the buoy (so I can find the anchor easily) and to make it easier to move it around before dropping overboard. The eyelet on the side is where I attach the course cable. The shape of the concrete, using the bin I chose, is slightly trapezoidal. By placing the eyelet on the side, the force is more horizontal making it harder to flip the anchor on its side. You just fill the bin to whatever weight you desire. I think I used two 80-pound bags per anchor. All eyelets are stainless.

I use 28-pound anchors as Lisa at Insta-Slalom recommended for the pre-gate anchors -- The 55m buoys are on their own line so that the main course cable is as short as possible. This is to keep the course from bowing too much. It is annoying to keep the 55m buoys in alignment though, so keep that in mind if you go this route.