Mini Courses!

MI3Eventer

• Baller

Opinion: AWSA Class C tournaments should all offer a mini course!

I think the mini course is such an easy way to teach new/novice/young skiers how to run the course. Not only that, it makes skiers feel they are actually skiing if they can't run the "Big" Course and teaches them the proper rhythm.

The last two weekends I have been at tournaments that don't have permanent mini-courses, but had many new collegiate skiers attending. Me and another member of my club dropped a course in the night before both tournaments using cinder blocks, extra rope we had, and some of our old buoys. Total cost to us ~$7. Total time to setup ~20 minutes. It doesn't have to be perfect and surveyed but just enough to make things interesting for those skiers that want to ski a tournament, but don't necessarily run the course. The amount of people I saw run the mini course made it worth the cold swim.

• Baller_

If you are saying this should be a new rule that every host site and tournament sanction must abide, I disagree.

If you are saying it is a great idea to promote the sport that everyone should consider and could even become the event format for entire tournaments offered, then I agree.

I realize my answer sounded a little like the "If by whiskey" speech. My apologies for that.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.